ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NL will use DH for EVER :(

Hoerner update @willycat

two outs, bottom of ninth, bases loaded and flubs down by four. Hoerner strikes out on a terrible pitch.

I don’t remember Madrigal wager but I’m pretty sure corbi loses and nobody wants hoerner over madrigal.

Only old dudes care about the batting title.

Yeah, but Anderson is a legit AL MVP candidate. He's been crazy good for the Sox.

And today's start reminded me about the Cy Yu discussions that have been going on this season. Looks like some regression to the mean has been happening the last few weeks.

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
Batting average is an old school stat, sure, but when you hit .340 or so for 162 games, it's means a lot. He's hit .339 with a .370 OBP over the course of his last 700 plate appearances. Anyone hitting that high over that large a sample is just a good hitter at that point. Watch how he approaches each pitch - he's as cerebral a hitter there is on that team, and that teams' offense is loaded

What are the new stats? WAR? If I can’t calculate it, then screw it. The back of the baseball card still cites batting average. Anderson is the straw thar stirs the drink for that team. An in your face attitude that actually backs it up on the field. Left the game holding his Hammy yesterday. If he is out, the team will not be nearly as good as it can be.

What are the new stats? WAR? If I can’t calculate it, then screw it. The back of the baseball card still cites batting average. Anderson is the straw thar stirs the drink for that team. An in your face attitude that actually backs it up on the field. Left the game holding his Hammy yesterday. If he is out, the team will not be nearly as good as it can be.

You're right that Anderson is so key to the White Sox success because his no-fear attitude and relentless motor is infectious over the long grind (especially when things are going well.) Anderson's back and forth with Trevor Bauer about the home run he hit off of Bauer is the best of baseball right now. Those two guys are opinionated, have fun, and go after it (and can be competitive with each other while still respecting the hell out of each other.)

Anderson is all good. Kopech is too. Don't believe what you hear in the media, he's ready for 2021 and will a great addition to the rotation.

Anderson is all good. Kopech is too. Don't believe what you hear in the media, he's ready for 2021 and will a great addition to the rotation.

If Kopech can be a #3 next year and grow into a #2, they should be in pretty decent shape through the current window. Wish he could have had this year of development, but they might not have gotten to see as much of Dunning as they have if he head. Do you think they'll go after a back end veteran this off-season for next year? Seems like there aren't a ton of big holes outside of a more consistent RF.

If Kopech can be a #3 next year and grow into a #2, they should be in pretty decent shape through the current window. Wish he could have had this year of development, but they might not have gotten to see as much of Dunning as they have if he head. Do you think they'll go after a back end veteran this off-season for next year? Seems like there aren't a ton of big holes outside of a more consistent RF.

Not much out there in terms of free agents. Bauer, Stroman and that's basically it and I don't see either winding up here. Gio, Keuchel, Kopech, Dunning, with Cease/Crochet/Rodon/Lopez/Stiever battling it out for the 5th spot. I personally think Crochet is a pen arm long term, but a devastating one. Could be wrong but his arm action scares me as a SP.

Guessing RF is the #1 priority. EE will be gone, Vaughn up who players have told me he's a freak. Wouldn't be surprised if Joc finally winds up ini Chicago

Not much out there in terms of free agents. Bauer, Stroman and that's basically it and I don't see either winding up here. Gio, Keuchel, Kopech, Dunning, with Cease/Crochet/Rodon/Lopez/Stiever battling it out for the 5th spot. I personally think Crochet is a pen arm long term, but a devastating one. Could be wrong but his arm action scares me as a SP.

Guessing RF is the #1 priority. EE will be gone, Vaughn up who players have told me he's a freak. Wouldn't be surprised if Joc finally winds up ini Chicago

That makes sense, but I'd be surprised if either Lopez or Rodon ended up back in Chicago next season. Aren't both free agents next year? Agree about Crochet. He has wipeout bullpen potential if he can stay healthy. Stiever hasn't looked good so far. Giolito, Keuchel, Kopech, Cease, Dunning are a solid 1-5, but it feels like they need another SP or two to make it through a full season and I'm not sure what else is behind this wave of guys.

I've been so surprised by EE's struggles as it has been almost 10 years since he last had an OPS below .800. I'm in L.A., not a big Joc fan, and don't think he'd be a great solution in RF. Not sure what other options are out there, but I've been pleasantly surprised by Engel this year. Probably more of a 4th outfielder long-term, but he's definitely been better than Mazara.

That makes sense, but I'd be surprised if either Lopez or Rodon ended up back in Chicago next season. Aren't both free agents next year? Agree about Crochet. He has wipeout bullpen potential if he can stay healthy. Stiever hasn't looked good so far. Giolito, Keuchel, Kopech, Cease, Dunning are a solid 1-5, but it feels like they need another SP or two to make it through a full season and I'm not sure what else is behind this wave of guys.

I've been so surprised by EE's struggles as it has been almost 10 years since he last had an OPS below .800. I'm in L.A., not a big Joc fan, and don't think he'd be a great solution in RF. Not sure what other options are out there, but I've been pleasantly surprised by Engel this year. Probably more of a 4th outfielder long-term, but he's definitely been better than Mazara.

Rodon has 1 more year of arb, he was super 2 and Stiever has never pitched above A ball this year. They are REALLY high on him, as they should be. He'll be fine, just needs to hone his craft in AAA next year.

Engel would be a fine 4th OF. Elite defense, hits LHP and one of the fastest players in baseball. Not a starter though. If not Joc, then they'll find a major upgrade. Makes me wish they had the balls to pay whatever Harper wanted... they still have like 40MM coming off the books this winter and are in a crazy good financial situation moving forward.

Rodon has 1 more year of arb, he was super 2 and Stiever has never pitched above A ball this year. They are REALLY high on him, as they should be. He'll be fine, just needs to hone his craft in AAA next year.

Engel would be a fine 4th OF. Elite defense, hits LHP and one of the fastest players in baseball. Not a starter though. If not Joc, then they'll find a major upgrade. Makes me wish they had the balls to pay whatever Harper wanted... they still have like 40MM coming off the books this winter and are in a crazy good financial situation moving forward.

That's great about Stiever. They need a few guys who are the next wave. Any chance they don't arb offer Rodon? Love their financial flexibility and multiple options in multiple places. Hope they can have a round or so of playoff success this year to push that learning curve. Thx for all the info.

For the first time in forever, the guys they are calling up to fill spots in the pen have electric stuff. Crochet, has a crazy fast ball consistently at 100 and he is 21 years old. Holy crap. Where did this Codi Heuer come from? They have a few potential SP’s that are a couple years away, correct?

some young guy probably will need to go to fill the team with the final veteran pieces, I sure hope it is not Vaughn. He is going to be a top player at some point. Hahn has done a great job.

The Sox could have used some of those arms last night. I think I saw Foster throw one off-speed pitch (change) in his inning. Ruiz' fastball is arrow straight, so hitting 97 doesn't mean much.

But bullpens are the easiest thing to fix, especially if you have drafted well.

The Sox could have used some of those arms last night. I think I saw Foster throw one off-speed pitch (change) in his inning. Ruiz' fastball is arrow straight, so hitting 97 doesn't mean much.

But bullpens are the easiest thing to fix, especially if you have drafted well.
They used both of those arms I mentioned last night. The problem IMO was how/when they used them. Ricky got himself run out of the game for arguing balls and strikes. I am not sold on Ricky at the helm for crunch time when this team contends. This year is a bonus. arriving a year before they are supposed to.

Sure sounds like the Sox have the makings of a dynasty. Just kidding.

Totally. Just hope that they don't crap the bed in their window of opportunity the way the Cubs did.
If shitting in bed means, winning the World Series and making the post season 4 times in the last 5 years, I'm quite sure the Sox would love it!

If shitting in bed means, winning the World Series and making the post season 4 times in the last 5 years, I'm quite sure the Sox would love it!

I get it that you're jealous, but the White Sox have already won as many World Series in the last 100 years as the Cubbies. They are trying to not waste their window like your boys. Leave it to a Cubs fan to be satisfied with mediocrity. ;)

For the first time in forever, the guys they are calling up to fill spots in the pen have electric stuff. Crochet, has a crazy fast ball consistently at 100 and he is 21 years old. Holy crap. Where did this Codi Heuer come from? They have a few potential SP’s that are a couple years away, correct?

some young guy probably will need to go to fill the team with the final veteran pieces, I sure hope it is not Vaughn. He is going to be a top player at some point. Hahn has done a great job.

Crochet added legit 15 MPH to his fastball since his freshman year (sat 85 going into UT, now sits 100)... His "arm talent" is some of the best I've ever seen.

Heuer came from Wichita St., Sox were scouting a Louisville pitcher for their 1st pick and walked away super impressed with him and took him in the 6th round. Both him and Foster are two high leverage relievers who will see super important situations in the playoffs next week. Neither of them would have broke camp with the team in a normal 162 game year. In that realm, cover was a blessing in disguise for the Sox

Edit: covid* not cover in the last sentence

Reactions: hoosboot
I get it that you're jealous, but the White Sox have already won as many World Series in the last 100 years as the Cubbies. They are trying to not waste their window like your boys. Leave it to a Cubs fan to be satisfied with mediocrity. ;)
I'm not be sure seems like you are. Sox last W.S. was ... when?

I'm not be sure seems like you are. Sox last W.S. was ... when?

It's okay. I get that you're bummed that Covid has robbed you of your attendance award and that the White Sox being better positioned for the next five years bums you out. It's okay. Don't let the jealousy eat you up. ;)

It's okay. I get that you're bummed that Covid has robbed you of your attendance award and that the White Sox being better positioned for the next five years bums you out. It's okay. Don't let the jealousy eat you up. ;)
When the W. Sox win something. let us all know. At least the Sox will used to playing in empty stadiums.

When the W. Sox win something. let us all know. At least the Sox will used to playing in empty stadiums.

I promise that I'll be here to hold your hand on that. Sorry that you don't get the attendance trophy this year, but with the Sox window opening and the Cubs closing, you have to hold out hope that you will get it back next year. Good luck!

The Tribe series has been brutal. Hopefully they can bounce back tonight.
It’s baseball, anything can happen in the playoffs. Not feeling that either Chicago team will be favored to make a long run in the playoffs. The good news the playoffs will be a great experience for the young and up and coming squad in town.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT