ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NL will use DH for EVER :(

Seems like a good Kimbrel-Pollock deal for the Sox. Pollock never stays healthy, but you can hope 30 of his 120 or so games happen in September and October.

Also probably tells you something about what the Sox think of Vaughn, at least this season.
This is why they didn’t release Kimbrel. Draft pick wouldn’t have don’t squat for this year. Kimbrel may be an All-Star in LA , but he was a head case on the South Side. Good move!

Reactions: IGNORE2
What a splashy day for the Sox! Bummer about grochet. But love the trade. Where’s corbi? :p

Seems like a good Kimbrel-Pollock deal for the Sox. Pollock never stays healthy, but you can hope 30 of his 120 or so games happen in September and October.

Also probably tells you something about what the Sox think of Vaughn, at least this season.
Tells you what they think of Sheets, not Vaughn. They are incredibly high on Vaughn.

This is why they didn’t release Kimbrel. Draft pick wouldn’t have don’t squat for this year. Kimbrel may be an All-Star in LA , but he was a head case on the South Side. Good move!
Declining Kimbrel’s option would not have gotten them a comp pick. Giving Rodon a QO would have and no matter how you spin it, it was penny wise pound foolish decision by the Sox and Hahn. I will give Hahn credit for this trade, much more than I thought he could get for Kimbrel.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Declining Kimbrel’s option would not have gotten them a comp pick. Giving Rodon a QO would have and no matter how you spin it, it was penny wise pound foolish decision by the Sox and Hahn. I will give Hahn credit for this trade, much more than I thought he could get for Kimbrel.
Not extending the QO to Rodon is probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen an MLB team do

He is someone else's problem now. The guy has such funky delivery/mechanics, any minor deviation causes his entire game to fall apart. It will take a while for the Dodgers to figure it out and fix him.

Will hoerner even start for the cubs this year? Looks like his teammate will be a starter. Hmmmm. Wasn’t there a debate about these players at some point? Wasn’t there even a bet?
NIIIIIICCCCCCOOOOOOOOO

Since bright spots for my Cincinnati Reds will likely be few and far in between this season, there was a cool moment in last night's opening victory....

ESPN had Joey Votto mic'd up while the game was in progress and he was playing first base. That was pretty cool. Had to be distracting as hell, but was some great entertainment for baseball fans!

Reactions: hoosboot

Well, the bullpen blows it and Pollock commits a game-ending error…

• Wow
My adopted Blue Jays had a big comeback win! Exciting team to fake root for.

My adopted Blue Jays had a big comeback win! Exciting team to fake root for.
As I’ve gotten older, I just root for everyone,and also my fantasy team). Sports should be fun.

As it stands, I root for the
White Sox (hometown),
Twins (worked for a minor league affiliate),
Tigers (two stints living in Michigan),
Angels (really liked the Salmon-Erstad team for undetermined reasons),
Rays (because they’re underdogs)
Braves (lived there)
Cubs (my actual “born into” team)
Pirates (college roommate)

I’ve even gotten to celebrate 2 g-d World Series wins in my lifetime! (Would have been a third, but I worked with one of those insufferable White Sox anti-Cubs dorks in 2005)

I usually get excited about a surprising team late by mid-season, but didn’t like that Giants team last year for no reason.

The 2006 Tigers (Verlander Zumaya Mags Casey Monroe) are the team that I most enjoyed following.

Baseball is the best. MLB network is the best.

Reactions: StreamCat and TheC
Dog shit organization and this lies squarely on the shoulders of Jerry Reinsdorf when he forced TLR onto Hahn. It's pathetic. Injuries are tough but the stars haven't been stars when healthy, either. I don't give a shit about xBA xSLG or anything like that. They just had their worst stretch of baseball in years.

Vince Velazquez is starting on a team that said they're trying to win the World Series this year. Lol

Dog shit organization and this lies squarely on the shoulders of Jerry Reinsdorf when he forced TLR onto Hahn. It's pathetic. Injuries are tough but the stars haven't been stars when healthy, either. I don't give a shit about xBA xSLG or anything like that. They just had their worst stretch of baseball in years.

Vince Velazquez is starting on a team that said they're trying to win the World Series this year. Lol
Sadly, I agree w this. Though Velasquez isn’t on tlr.

Don’t disagree with any of this other than to say that Hahn is not without blame. He has made some huge mistakes since taking over as GM.

Don’t disagree with any of this other than to say that Hahn is not without blame. He has made some huge mistakes since taking over as GM.
Hahn is a good GM. Of course he has made mistakes like every other GM . Far more wins than losses for him. TLR is a problem. His punishment for a poor game torpedoed all momentum the team had.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Hahn is a good GM. Of course he has made mistakes like every other GM . Far more wins than losses for him. TLR is a problem. His punishment for a poor game torpedoed all momentum the team had.
At best, Hahn is a mediocre GM. The only reason he looks good to some Sox fans is that that he is way better than what they had previously and because Reinsdorf is an easier and more deserving target of their acorn. The Sox could do much better than Hahn.

Last edited:
Sadly, I agree w this. Though Velasquez isn’t on tlr.
No, but Leury Garcia, one of the very worst players in all of baseball, is. He forced a THREE YEAR DEAL onto Hahn.

Go look at Steve Stone's tweets recently. He was asked if Leury Garcia is "worth keeping around or if he has any trade value" and he said, point blank, "no to both".

Three year deal. Three years!!! When you have Romy Gonzales, Danny Mendick and the Cuban Kid all who go do his job for about $13MM less.

****ing pathetic last week of baseball. Good thing is, is they're still the best team in the division. We'll see if they can flip it on now that Giolito is back and Lynn is almost here. Cease and Kopech look ****ing amazing, so the pitching isn't a problem. Just need to stay healthy and buy a STAR at the deadline.

Of course, none of that will happen

TLR has always had a hardon for guys who could play multiple positions and hit like a backup middle infielder. I watched this in St Louis for years with guys like Dan Descalso, Aaron Miles and Craig Paquette. He even thought Ryan Theriot was good. It made me want to gouge my eyes with chopsticks.

TLR has always had a hardon for guys who could play multiple positions and hit like a backup middle infielder. I watched this in St Louis for years with guys like Dan Descalso, Aaron Miles and Craig Paquette. He even thought Ryan Theriot was good. It made me want to gouge my eyes with chopsticks.
Yeah, but the White Sox don’t have a deal with the devil.

I have not gotten involved in this Chicago baseball related thread, but let me just say the Byron Buxton is a God. A ****ing God.

Reactions: NUCat320
As a Reds' fan who is watching his team enter tanking mode yet again, I am looking to officially adopt another team to root for this season. Right now, I am leaning toward the Blue Jays. Anyone want to argue for others? (Note: I ain't rooting for the Cubs or Cards, so that will save some of you some time)
Are you keeping one eye on the RedLegs? What a team!

It’s ugly, but I didn’t realize how ugly. Weren’t they trying to win last year? Yuck.

Are you keeping one eye on the RedLegs? What a team!

It’s ugly, but I didn’t realize how ugly. Weren’t they trying to win last year? Yuck.
I'm keeping no eyes on them. It is so incredibly sad what is happening to the first professional baseball franchise. All baseball fans should be sickened by it.

What's worse is that the owner appointed his spoiled-brat son to be COO of the team. You may have heard he made news early in the season by dismissing fan frustration with the team and basically told us - what are you gonna' do about it?? They then had stadium personnel go around to stop fans who brought critical signs or wore bags over their head at the games.

After spending 30 years in the desert of NFL futility due to a shitty owner, it now appears the Cincinnati fans are going to go through the same in baseball.

I think their 3-19 start is the worst in team history. And this is a team who has been around a loong time.

I'm keeping no eyes on them. It is so incredibly sad what is happening to the first professional baseball franchise. All baseball fans should be sickened by it.

What's worse is that the owner appointed his spoiled-brat son to be COO of the team. You may have heard he made news early in the season by dismissing fan frustration with the team and basically told us - what are you gonna' do about it?? They then had stadium personnel go around to stop fans who brought critical signs or wore bags over their head at the games.

After spending 30 years in the desert of NFL futility due to a shitty owner, it now appears the Cincinnati fans are going to go through the same in baseball.

I think their 3-19 start is the worst in team history. And this is a team who has been around a loong time.
Defector (aka zombie deadspin) has been covering the heck out of the Reds this spring. It’s been a blast.

my favorite Reds memory is when John McSherry died on field , and Marge Schott said, approximately, “First yesterday’s snow out , and now this.”

edit: it was worse! From mcsherry’s Wikipedia, "Snow this morning and now this. I don't believe it. I feel cheated. This isn't supposed to happen to us, not in Cincinnati. This is our history, our tradition, our team. Nobody feels worse than me."

Last edited:
Random semi offer - I reached out to @chicagocatfan24 a few minutes ago and plan to wait til tomorrow for a response BUT he can't or isn't interested - I'm heading to KC on Thursday for the Sox day game. I have to drop off my housekeeper in StLouis on the return. If any of my Chicago based friends here want to catch the game and go for a ride in a small plane, shoot me a message or respond here. I will be taking off from Gary in the morning around 830ish and plan to return some time much later that evening. Haven't bought the twin yet - so we are taking the Bonnie.

Ok - spot is open. If anyone wants to jump in and catch the Sox day game on Thursday at Kaufman Stadium, DM or respond here by 5P. Buying my game tickets tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT