ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Soccer is still such a stupid game

Phat and PA, are you out of your freakin minds??? Ties SUCK. The new NFL rule shortening OT has led to a few ties the last few years - absolutely assinine rule change... just to accomodate TV scheduling needs.

We're obviously going to agree to disagree. I say, if a game is going to end in a tie... WHY PLAY?!?!?
Why? So that Harvard and Yale can both claim victory.

So what would be the problem if the US tried some of these suggestions In the early 80's they experimented with a different offside rule and the refs got it wrong just as they do now Refs call players offsides when replays clearly showed they were onside when the ball was played but not when the side judges look at the player receiving the pass. Eliminate offsides and this problem disappears

FIFA accepted eliminating back passes to the goalie, so rule changes are possible

Playing to send a game to PK doesn't seem like a way to select the better team

I do not dispute the skills of the professional players but the rules do not allow those skills to be fully exploited

Offsides are actually reviewed now, at least for the games on TV.

MLS is (finally) getting some traction. I'd doubt they'd ever risk running radically different rules from FIFA to jeopardize it.

Offsides are actually reviewed now, at least for the games on TV.

MLS is (finally) getting some traction. I'd doubt they'd ever risk running radically different rules from FIFA to jeopardize it.
I did not know offsides was reviewable. The referee always blows his whistle when the side judge raises the flag; How do they review it ?

On a related note, can someone explain the offsides call to me. I feel like something has changed in this tournament, but maybe I just never followed closely enough. I used to think if a player was offsides, the linesman would raise his flag almost immediately, but the ref would let the play go on a bit to see if the offending player was actually involved in the consequence. Then, as soon as he was, the whistle would blow and play would be stopped. In this tournament, it seems like the offsides player can get the ball and even take a shot on goal and only once the play has concluded does the linesman raise his flag. Why the delay? Is this a new take on the rule and what does it accomplish? It seems like if a guy is offsides and he touches the ball, the play should be dead on the spot. This new way of doing it leads to some momentary uncertainty and a little bit of drama.

On a related note, can someone explain the offsides call to me. I feel like something has changed in this tournament, but maybe I just never followed closely enough. I used to think if a player was offsides, the linesman would raise his flag almost immediately, but the ref would let the play go on a bit to see if the offending player was actually involved in the consequence. Then, as soon as he was, the whistle would blow and play would be stopped. In this tournament, it seems like the offsides player can get the ball and even take a shot on goal and only once the play has concluded does the linesman raise his flag. Why the delay? Is this a new take on the rule and what does it accomplish? It seems like if a guy is offsides and he touches the ball, the play should be dead on the spot. This new way of doing it leads to some momentary uncertainty and a little bit of drama.

Replay.

If that is the way they are officiating offsides now then that will help. Allowing the play to continue and then implement replay should avoid the problem I outlined. The question remains about how long they allow play to continue after the flag is raised

If that is the way they are officiating offsides now then that will help. Allowing the play to continue and then implement replay should avoid the problem I outlined. The question remains about how long they allow play to continue after the flag is raised
Change of possession or elimination of a scoring chance.

I don't think they'd need to go so far as to actually eliminate the offside rule, but perhaps liberalizing it a bit would help ramp up the excitement (read: scoring chances). For example, now, a player is called offside if so much as his fingernail is ahead of the defender when the ball is played. I'd see it as quite an improvement if the rule was simply tweaked to consider a player onside if he has no more than, say, one full step on a defender (or is, say, within arm's reach of that defender) when the ball is played. American sporting tastes are not attuned to games where the most common scores for a team are 0 or 1. Ninety minutes of offensive futility, where your team may only generate two or three legitimate scoring chances in the entire hour and a half, just doesn't resonate well with a typical American sports fan. I enjoy watching soccer, especially the World Cup, but I don't have as much grasp of its nuances, i.e., formations, tactics, positioning, etc, as I'd like. When I watch a game, the main thing that stands out to me is legitimate, dangerous scoring chances . . . and IMO, the game would be considerably more attractive if there were a handful more of these per game. I like the ebb and flow of a game where a team could take, lose, and then retake the lead during the course of a game. That doesn't happen very often when there are only an average of about 2 1/2 total goals scored in the entire game. My guess is that if they were to ever figure out a set of rules that wouldn't mangle or make the game completely unrecognizable, and lead to average scores of about 4-3, the game's popularity in the US would take an appreciable turn for the better.

Ok, I totally admit I don't understand a lot about the game. I haven't seen this whole first half of Spain/Italy, but the little I did see appeared to be pretty uneventful. There is no score and only one shot on goal the whole half. Kinda' seemed boring. Then they go to the studio analysts to talk about the game and the guy is like - that first half was fascinating! He then goes into a bunch of analysis to explain it, but I just had to laugh at the difference between a soccer expert and an idiot like me. 😄

Reactions: corbi296
Ok, I totally admit I don't understand a lot about the game. I haven't seen this whole first half of Spain/Italy, but the little I did see appeared to be pretty uneventful. There is no score and only one shot on goal the whole half. Kinda' seemed boring. Then they go to the studio analysts to talk about the game and the guy is like - that first half was fascinating! He then goes into a bunch of analysis to explain it, but I just had to laugh at the difference between a soccer expert and an idiot like me. 😄

Right now it’s a chess game and what you see is a game of checkers. Spain has out schemed Italy in the first half. If Italy does not adjust, Spain will win the game. I don’t think that will happen.

In today's edition of A Dumb American Trying To Fix The World's Most Adored Game....

Why on earth don't they do a sudden death in this tortuous 30-minute overtime? Didn't there used to be the Golden Goal??

In today's edition of A Dumb American Trying To Fix The World's Most Adored Game....

Why on earth don't they do a sudden death in this tortuous 30-minute overtime? Didn't there used to be the Golden Goal??

Stick to football .... or maybe not. Golf?

My guess is that if they were to ever figure out a set of rules that wouldn't mangle or make the game completely unrecognizable, and lead to average scores of about 4-3, the game's popularity in the US would take an appreciable turn for the better.
4-3 is too much scoring.

Sorry, but once again, this is soooooo stupid that this match ends like this with penalty kicks. Oh well, that's the way this game is. Just embrace it I guess.

Man, Spain outplays Italy pretty much the entire game. But because this game is designed to make it virtually impossible to score, they settle the outcome of a 120 minute marathon with pure luck penalty kicks and Italy advances because their goalie guesses right one more time than the other. I think I will stick to football.

Last edited:
Sorry, but once again, this is soooooo stupid that this match ends like this with penalty kicks. Oh well, that's the way this game is. Just embrace it I guess.

Man, Spain outplays Italy pretty much the entire game. But because this game is designed to make it virtually impossible to score, they settle the outcome of a 120 minute marathon with pure luck penalty kicks and Italy advances because their goalie guesses right one more time than the other. I think I will stick to football.
How is a penalty kick any different from a pitch in baseball?

I want to like soccer. I try. I watch the big tournaments and try to appreciate it. But then I watch matches like this Switzerland-Spain quarterfinal of the EuroCup and I just wonder why it is like it is.

So, a Swiss player gets a red card with about 10 minutes left in regulation in a 1-1 tie game. So, they have to play down a man. Spain fails to score, so they go to a 30-minute overtime. Spain fails to score again. That means you have a team playing for 40 minutes with an extra guy and they can't score a single point. And Spain is one of the top teams in the world.

Something is wrong with your sport if you can't score in 40 minutes with a one man advantage. There is no other sport where having a one man advantage wouldn't allow you to just dominate the score.

IT'S SOOOOO STUPID!!!!!!
Why do you insult stupid like that?

What a bad take. The Swiss goalie stood on his head to send the game to PK. I guess you don’t like Hockey much either when a hot goalie stones the other team. In order to appreciate soccer, you must appreciate things that are done on the field other than scoring a goal. It’s the equivalent of appreciating a great block, or a sack, or a RB breaking three tackles to get a 0 yard run. I guess it’s hard to appreciate it if you have not played the game.

If you want to watch an even better game, take in the Italy - Belgium game that is coming up. My Azzurri are in great form.
The game is similar to many others but it is the most boring version. Hockey is basically the same game and so is Lacrosse, Field Hockey etc Every one of the alternative versions is better than soccer. There are at least a number of shots on goal and some actual chances of scoring. And actually Hockey has lost a bit as they have started to make the goalie look more like the Pillsbury Doughboy or Michelan man with all the padding cutting down on the opportunities to score

And then you potential take a score off the board? Would seem that the reason for offside penalty is because it gives an advantage but that advantage disappears quickly so if it should lead to a breakaway, it would warrant stopping but if it didn't, it would seem that there would be no reason to stop play

How about the official time that isn't what is on the scoreboard. Sorry but the more I see of it the less I want to see of it

I did grow up in an area where soccer was the primary fall sport. Ethnic communities fueled the interest-Germans, Italians, Poles etc. Trenton NJ was simply an ethnic community. The skills of professional players are extraordinary but I agree that watching the game can be tedious unless you appreciate square passes with no real attempt to attack the goal for minutes at a time.

The Europeans changed the rules of basketball as FIBA now controls international competition. The Euros could not compete with the USA and simply changed the rules to their advantage. FIFA will never accept suggestions from the USA to help their game, which they consider to be perfect

Here were my suggestions that I have advocated for 40 years:
1. No back passes to the goalie-incorporated now
2. Eliminate offsides-allow both teams to utilize the entire field-a "cheap goal" may occur but it will spread out the players allowing them to use their ball skills more
3. Allow immediate throw ins or kick ins on out of bound balls. Allowing kicks will create more opportunities for scores and to change field position. This will also tire the players ,again, allowing more space to use their skills. The ball must be played immediately and any attempt to "sneak" up the sideline or prevent a kick in will result in a 2 minute player suspension
4.Any player feigning an injury will be suspended for 10 minutes. Any player assisted off the field may not return but a substitute may be used
5. Eliminate penalty kicks to decide games. After a scoreless overtime , each team must remove 3 players, After another scoreless period 3 more players are removed from each team until a goal is scored
6. Enlarge the goal 3' in height and 6' in width

I used to go to a bar that on weekends showed international rugby in one room and soccer in another. There was constant noisy outbursts in the rugby room but every 10-15 minutes there would be a deafening roar from the soccer room-a goal ? No, just a shot on goal
And to determine whether these things are actually of value, have to want to understand the game enough to know and to do that you actually have to care about the sport. Think I will pass

I played soccer in college and love the sport. I think baseball is a stupid & boring sport. Do you really need to play 162 regular season games? Really?? A baseball game can last 4 hours with about 6 minutes of real action (maybe). Most of the game consists of a bunch of guys (millionaires) standing around waiting for something to happen. I would rather have my toe nails painted by Stevie Wonder than sit thru a baseball game. Therefore, we can agree to disagree.
A pro baseball game should not take what it does now. Need to have a pitch clock and stop some of the unnecessary time outs etc. Games used to take about 2.5 hours and now they take about 3.5. That said, I will still take Baseball any day over Soccer

You can get a fair appreciation of the difference in action between soccer and rugby over the next couple of weeks. You can watch the rest of the Eurocup and also watch the British and Irish Lions tour of South Africa on Peacock. The early games will pit the Lions against several professional sides in S.A but the last 3 matches in a month will have the Lions play South Africa, the reigning world champions. The next match is tomorrow on Peacock-replays should be available. The Lions should be dominant until the test matches begin

Today's Spain v Italy match was a typical game demonstrating outstanding skills but there were only a few scoring chances. Italy played their traditional defensive plan and Spain dominated time of possession and field position. The "delayed offside" was called late in the game disallowing an Italian goal.

The old rules used to make the goalie be stationary with his feet on the goal line during penalty kicks but the Spanish goalie seemed to be in constant motion-have they changed that rule also

Italy's "fast break goal" would be more common if the offside rule was eliminated

You can call today's game a "chess match" and I would agree that watching it generated about as much excitement as a chess match

How is a penalty kick any different from a pitch in baseball?
I don’t understand what point you’re trying to make. A pitch is a normal event hat happens throughout a baseball game. A penalty kick is a freak play that has nothing to do with the rest of game.

First Spain loses in this absurd manner and then my Reds later have their bullpen blow a five run lead to lose to the lowly Royals. What a crappy sports day. My only consolation is at least I’m not a Cubs fan. 😝

I don’t understand what point you’re trying to make. A pitch is a normal event hat happens throughout a baseball game. A penalty kick is a freak play that has nothing to do with the rest of game.
Statistically, a batter has the same (or worse) chance of getting a hit on any one pitch than a goalie has of saving a penalty. Yet, one is a “normal event” that we can build a totally not stupid and amazing sport around, and the other is the stupidest thing known to man, apparently.

Maybe if soccer just went to a series of like 120 penalty kicks for each team in rotating turns, it wouldn’t be so stupid!

Disclaimer I played soccer for 13+ years.

So first getting rid of the offsides rule is terrible. It would completely change the game. Defenders wouldn’t support as much offensively and it would be full of long balls.

Soccer penalties/fouls including offsides are called as it affects the game. So like if you get clipped illegally and your team maintains possession you’ll get an “advantage” and they won’t blow the ball dead.

For offsides that’s called if you’re past the 2nd to past defender (not keeper) and the ball is passed to you. If you don’t affect the play you’re not offsides.

In soccer it’s about building an attack through maintain possession and counter attacks and positioning. Saying you only want scoring opportunities or want more is the same as saying in football I want the field shortened to just the redzone so I see more touchdowns. There’s beauty in the defense and the drive up the field. Although to the casual observer they want big hits and touchdowns.

Just because the most popular sport in the world isn’t for you doesn’t mean it’s “stupid”.

Just to clear a few things up for those getting so upset by this thread:

- I don't really think soccer is stupid. I am playing the role of the dumb American a bit in this thread, partly for the bit and partly out of frustration that my team lost

- As a novice soccer watcher, I totally admit there are a lot of intricacies of the game that I'm likely missing

- Also, as a slightly ignorant observer, I do get annoyed watching these matches where it seems fairly clear that one team is outplaying the other, but because it is so damn hard to actually score a goal, that inferior team can basically hang around and maybe even make it to....

-Penalty kicks!! I don't care how dumb I sound, but this is still a stupid way to settle a two-hour match

Just to clear a few things up for those getting so upset by this thread:

- I don't really think soccer is stupid. I am playing the role of the dumb American a bit in this thread, partly for the bit and partly out of frustration that my team lost

- As a novice soccer watcher, I totally admit there are a lot of intricacies of the game that I'm likely missing

- Also, as a slightly ignorant observer, I do get annoyed watching these matches where it seems fairly clear that one team is outplaying the other, but because it is so damn hard to actually score a goal, that inferior team can basically hang around and maybe even make it to....

-Penalty kicks!! I don't care how dumb I sound, but this is still a stupid way to settle a two-hour match
MY team won the CONCACAF Nations League.

GO AMERICA! 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸

Reactions: NUCat320
First Spain loses in this absurd manner and then my Reds later have their bullpen blow a five run lead to lose to the lowly Royals. What a crappy sports day. My only consolation is at least I’m not a Cubs fan. 😝
Speaking from experience, that IS consolation indeed.

What is the rationale for having two 15 minute overtime periods instead of sudden death?

What is the rationale for having two 15 minute overtime periods instead of sudden death?
They tried that and it incentivized extremely conservative play for the extra time, making it worthless. No one liked it in the couple of tournaments it was used and it got rightly tossed.

So what would be the problem if the US tried some of these suggestions In the early 80's they experimented with a different offside rule and the refs got it wrong just as they do now Refs call players offsides when replays clearly showed they were onside when the ball was played but not when the side judges look at the player receiving the pass. Eliminate offsides and this problem disappears

FIFA accepted eliminating back passes to the goalie, so rule changes are possible

Playing to send a game to PK doesn't seem like a way to select the better team

I do not dispute the skills of the professional players but the rules do not allow those skills to be fully exploited
I don't get it, when I say eliminate offside in overtime, I mean one or more of the strikers could just stay past the defender, not have to wait for the ball sent their way. Like a fast break in basketball.

Choose your own rule. PKs are dumb. Play empty net. Play overtime until the team manager has to (gasp!) Use the reserves. IDC. Just get rid of PKs.

Reactions: TheC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT