ADVERTISEMENT

Selection Sunday, Where will we land?

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
No need for us Pacific Rimmers to lobby here on Wildcat Report for the Holiday this year as from the postings of late it would appear there is a mutual desire to see the Wildcats play either Utah or Oregon in San Diego as opposed to a SEC team anywhere other than the Citrus.

If Ohio State qualifies for a playoff spot could the Citrus be the destination assuming Michigan and Penn State get to play in the New Year's Six games? One of the talking heads was projecting today that the old school playoff committee members may not like defense challenged Oklahoma getting in despite their conference win so who knows? Notre Dame, Clemson and Alabama have to be locks at this point. (Those trying to give the edge to Oklahoma keep harping on OSU's nine penalties and two turnovers in our game. Countering that the Committee Members saw for themselves what a dynamic player Haskins was and if they agree he is the best quarterback in the nation that may be enough.)

Outback?

Do you agree that anything else other than one of the above would constitute a major snub? Of course we have been there before.

Last edited:
Reactions: WestCoastWildcat
I don't really think anything would constitute a snub. Penn State is most likely for Citrus given they're 9-3 and just outside the top 10.

Outback already had us in this 6 year cycle.

Holiday or Gator or Redbox seem most likely. All those are fine spots for us.

A Holiday matchup versus Utah (for the mirror storyline to the Rose Bowl, i.e. matchup up Big Ten/Pac-12 division winners) or Oregon (nice matchup vs big brand) would be great for us.

Gator would probably be versus Auburn which would be a rematch of the 2010 Outback Bowl.

Amazingly, I am hearing noise about GA going to playoffs. To me, Tua looked ordinary and Hurts picked them apart.

SEC can't have it both ways.

I'm ok with Holiday.

Predictions are all over the place, but Teddy narrows it down to 2 (not surprising):

Reactions: CatManTrue
Conference losers should NOT get in. They had their crack a Bama and lost. If the committee puts GA in the whole thing is more of a farce than it already is.
Conference championship is listed as the first criterion, so the committee won’t consider it. But my eyes tell me that GA is top 4. OSU looks better than ND thanks to Haskins.

You can't make Bama have to beat Georgia again, and I would have said the same thing about Bama had Georgia pulled off the upset. If both are in the playoff, then the game meant essentially nothing.

You can't make Bama have to beat Georgia again, and I would have said the same thing about Bama had Georgia pulled off the upset. If both are in the playoff, then the game meant essentially nothing.

Clemson 1, Bama 2, ND 3, UGA 4. SEC teams on opposite sides of the bracket, Clemson’s waxing of Pitt provides cover for the committee.

I don’t think OSU did enough to make it last night, OU probably has a better case but I think UGA is probably one of the four best teams in the country.

Clemson 1, Bama 2, ND 3, UGA 4. SEC teams on opposite sides of the bracket, Clemson’s waxing of Pitt provides cover for the committee.

I don’t think OSU did enough to make it last night, OU probably has a better case but I think UGA is probably one of the four best teams in the country.

How did OSU not do enough? They put up over 600 yds and beat us by three TD.

This whole thing is stupid.

People get way too wrapped up in one week of a 14 week regular season.

Georgia got blown out earlier this year by 20.
Georgia also played UMASS, Middle Tenn St. & Austin Peay.
OSU got blown out by 29 to a 6-6 team & struggled all year.

All the teams that were in conference title games were playing there 12th FBS game, since they all play FCS opponents during the season.

ND beat 12 FBS teams (tied for most).
ND beat 10 P5 teams. (Most)
ND beat 4 top 25 teams. (Tied for most).
ND has 3rd ranked SOR. (Has been top 3 every week).

Leaving ND out is just one of two things:
1) Hatred of ND
2) Ignoring the entire body of work

ND could schedule a FCS game to get the “13th data point” like everybody else does?

I don’t see the argument of ND needing to join a conference when their schedule is better than all but two teams?

All the teams that were in conference title games were playing there 12th FBS game, since they all play FCS opponents during the season.

1) Hatred of ND

ND could schedule a FCS game to get the “13th data point” like everybody else does?

I don’t see the argument of ND needing to join a conference when their schedule is better than all but two teams?

Who left ND out?

Strong argument for Georgia being one of the top 4, but I would make a similar argument that ND isn’t. It will default to records for those two teams. Notre Dame will get in for being undefeated, and Georgia won’t for two losses. I believe the way OSU is playing right now, they are a better team than Oklahoma, but not so definitively that they can overcome the 29 point loss to Purdue and the fact that Texas had the opportunity to avenge their only loss.

For OSU fans it’s been a strange year. Greatest Performance by an OSU QB in history, a one loss season, Big 10 Championship, beat PSU, MSU, and most importantly Michigan, and a trip to the Rose Bowl- But it goes down as a disappointing forgettable season.

How did OSU not do enough? They put up over 600 yds and beat us by three TD.

This whole thing is stupid.

Don’t think it was enough to overcome the Purdue blowout.

UGA beat a playoff team in ND and losses to LSU and Bama are pretty damn defensible.

Georgia beat Notre Dame LAST YEAR. And those three cupcake wins they had should figure in the equation, plus having TWO SEC teams in the Final 4 AGAIN especially after one just beat the other one would, in my opinion, be a real bad idea.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Georgia beat Notre Dame LAST YEAR. And those three cupcake wins they had should figure in the equation, plus having TWO SEC teams in the Final 4 AGAIN especially after one just beat the other one would, in my opinion, be a real bad idea.

Wow. Blaming the early wake up and drive home from Indy for that one. Eesh.

Regardless, I still think UGA has a better case to be amongst the best four teams in the country than OU or OSU.

They might be top 4, although it's very close, but they already had their shot at Alabama and in the end, they FAILED.

Reactions: StreamCat
ND will always be penalized by not playing un a conference championship game. If they were full members of the ACC they would have played Clemson. Instead they sat home and watched TV. By not playing in a conference championship game they had 0% chance of the following:
* Losing a Conference Championship Game
* Having anyone suffer an injury in said game
* Physical wear and tear of of players in said game.
This is why they have to go undefeated to get into the playoffs.

No need for us Pacific Rimmers to lobby here on Wildcat Report for the Holiday this year as from the postings of late it would appear there is a mutual desire to see the Wildcats play either Utah or Oregon in San Diego as opposed to a SEC team anywhere other than the Citrus.

If Ohio State qualifies for a playoff spot could the Citrus be the destination assuming Michigan and Penn State get to play in the New Year's Six games? One of the talking heads was projecting today that the old school playoff committee members may not like defense challenged Oklahoma getting in despite their conference win so who knows? Notre Dame, Clemson and Alabama have to be locks at this point. (Those trying to give the edge to Oklahoma keep harping on OSU's nine penalties and two turnovers in our game. Countering that the Committee Members saw for themselves what a dynamic player Haskins was and if they agree he is the best quarterback in the nation that may be enough.)

Outback?

Do you agree that anything else other than one of the above would constitute a major snub? Of course we have been there before.
Another article from the San Diego paper. They think we are favorites for the Holiday Bowl as the BT rep against either Oregon or Utah. Second choice is Wisconsin.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...n-utah-northwestern-wisconsin-1202-story.html

Last edited:
Here is where Jerry Palm of CBS Sports has us projected:

Citrus Bowl Jan. 1 Orlando, Fla. ACC/Big Ten vs. SEC Penn State vs. Kentucky
Outback Bowl Jan. 1 Tampa, Fla. Big Ten vs. SEC Iowa vs. Texas A&M
TaxSlayer Bowl Dec. 31 Jacksonville, Fla. ACC/Big Ten vs. SEC N.C. State vs. Missouri
Holiday Bowl Dec. 31 San Diego, Calif. Big Ten vs. Pac-12 Northwestern vs. Oregon
Liberty Bowl Dec. 31 Memphis, Tenn. Big 12 vs. SEC Baylor vs. South Carolina
Redbox Bowl Dec. 31 Santa Clara, Calif. Big Ten vs. Pac-12 Michigan State vs. Utah

FWIW on the percentage projections posted on the ESPN channel last night the likelihood of OSU getting that last playoff spot was something like 70% and Oklahoma 30%!

1) Hatred of ND

ND belongs. Don't believe otherwise

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Just announced: Alabama, Clemson, N*D*, Oklahoma.

Just announced: Alabama, Clemson, N*D*, Oklahoma.
I am have some Schadenfeude that our 3rd-early 4th quarter rally may have destroyed OSU’s shot at the playoff. Particularly for the fan that turned to our NU group and was repeatedly chanting “WE WANT BAMA! WE WANT BAMA!” After OSU went up 14 in the 4th. Bama would destroy OSU.

1) Hatred of ND
Exactly....join a conference and go through the grind of a conference with legitimate away games and a championship game...not neutral site games that are home games in disguise. I mean seriously what can be your reason for not joining a conference like the rest of the world...unless 1. You think you would be less successful or 2. you just think you are above everybody else

Exactly....join a conference and go through the grind of a conference with legitimate away games and a championship game...not neutral site games that are home games in disguise. I mean seriously what can be your reason for not joining a conference like the rest of the world...unless 1. You think you would be less successful or 2. you just think you are above everybody else
Give it a rest. There must be eighty posts saying the same thing. We get it. We get it. We get it. And this is coming from a guy who wishes they’d join a conference, too.

Strong argument for Georgia being one of the top 4, but I would make a similar argument that ND isn’t. It will default to records for those two teams. Notre Dame will get in for being undefeated, and Georgia won’t for two losses. I believe the way OSU is playing right now, they are a better team than Oklahoma, but not so definitively that they can overcome the 29 point loss to Purdue and the fact that Texas had the opportunity to avenge their only loss.

For OSU fans it’s been a strange year. Greatest Performance by an OSU QB in history, a one loss season, Big 10 Championship, beat PSU, MSU, and most importantly Michigan, and a trip to the Rose Bowl- But it goes down as a disappointing forgettable season.

Sorry, but when a conference championship season is forgettable and disappointing I think you guys have to relax a little. You were one poorly executed two-point conversion pass by Maryland from not even qualifying for the title game. Enjoy your good fortune and an excellent season.

Looks like PSU to Citrus v UK - guess they didn't want rematch

Odds seem to favor Oregon, though Utes are lobbying really heavily on social media for whatever that's worth.
Past couple of weeks, there's been talk from SD columnists that Holiday wants Oregon for their bigger name/tv ratings.

Reactions: rmndcat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT