ADVERTISEMENT

The parking situation

Sheffielder

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2004
So...I got the email I've been dreading for a while - based on my two decades of purple points, I will be warehousing my car in the hospital garage this season. Of course, all that could change with a $3,000 donation, but I've made some life and career choices where I can't reasonably justify spending that kind of money for parking my car a half dozen times. Oh right, and to support our student athletes.

This of course prompted my two non-NU alum fellow season ticket holders to ask if we should even bother going this year, which sorta breaks my heart to be honest.

And then it conjured a whole host of other unanswered questions from those two:
* So this season and then we go play somewhere else?
* Where?
* For how long?
* Will we be able to park on the golf course when we get back?
* Will we even be able to afford to go to the new one?
* I noticed there weren't grand plans for more parking in the new stadium renderings (that one wasn't so much a question...)

,,,just some recreational complaining to literally the only group that might remotely understand my plight.

This will happen to thousands and thousands of fans when we cut attendance at the new stadium down from 50,000 to 30,000 (which is much less than our average attendance for the past 20 years).

Thanks for your fandom- ciao!

This will happen to thousands and thousands of fans when we cut attendance at the new stadium down from 50,000 to 30,000 (which is much less than our average attendance for the past 20 years).

I don’t think that’s true. At all. The NU season ticket holder base is nowhere near the ~35,000 seats in the new Ryan Field.

Might there be price/donation increases that longtime holders elect not to pay? Sure. Will folks get squeezed out simply due to lack of availability? Highly unlikely.

Last edited:
I don’t think that’s true. At all. The NU season ticket holder base is nowhere hear the ~35,000 seats in the new Ryan Field.

Might there be price/donation increases that longtime holders elect not to pay? Sure. Will folks get squeezed out simply due to lack of availability? Highly unlikely.
I am anticipating an initial "shiny new thing" demand, because everyone loves a new facility. NU will surely exploit this with artificially inflated prices (and they would be foolish NOT to), just like their invitation for me to plunk down an extra $3K to get out of the hospital garage this year.

The question is whether the "true" fans will be there to pick up the slack if/after Fitz fields a 2-10 team in the opening season of the new digs. I'm sorry to say if my STH friends give up their tickets, they aren't gonna come back but for a game here and there maybe 1-2x per year, and I'm not going to games alone. I'm also not clear on where the young alumni are gonna come in and pick up that slack either.

Reactions: 2388bb
I don’t think that’s true. At all. The NU season ticket holder base is nowhere hear the ~35,000 seats in the new Ryan Field.

Several months ago I met with a senior member of the NU Athletic Department to voice concern over the possibility that we might lose our seats once midfield sections were converted to club seating requiring expensive permits or licensing fees. I was told, "We know that we are going to lose some folks, and I'd hate for one of those losses to be you. But, if you do not want the extra accoutrements or are unwilling to pay for them, then we probably will lose you as a season ticket holder unless you decide to sit outside the fifteen yard-line." I was essentially done as an NU football fan as of that day. I have the $$$, but greatly resent arm twisting.

I am anticipating an initial "shiny new thing" demand, because everyone loves a new facility. NU will surely exploit this with artificially inflated prices (and they would be foolish NOT to), just like their invitation for me to plunk down an extra $3K to get out of the hospital garage this year.

The question is whether the "true" fans will be there to pick up the slack if/after Fitz fields a 2-10 team in the opening season of the new digs. I'm sorry to say if my STH friends give up their tickets, they aren't gonna come back but for a game here and there maybe 1-2x per year, and I'm not going to games alone. I'm also not clear on where the young alumni are gonna come in and pick up that slack either.

We should know by now that demand for parking passes is much higher when certain programs are playing in Evanston, especially Iowa. Penn State probably increases demand as well, since any Chicago/Midwest-based PSU fans don’t get to see their team in person very often. And, as has been discussed frequently around here, it is my belief that fans from those schools will gladly plop down a couple grand to guarantee premium parking at NU because 1) it really isn’t that expensive compared to the world of P5 football and 2) they can at least recover some of their expense by selling tickets and/or passes to the other games.

Either way, ticket/pass gate revenue is never going to move the needle very much at NU. All about the BTN TV contract dollars.

Several months ago I met with a senior member of the NU Athletic Department to voice concern over the possibility that we might lose our seats once midfield sections were converted to club seating requiring expensive permits or licensing fees. I was told, "We know that we are going to lose some folks, and I'd hate for one of those losses to be you. But, if you do not want the extra accoutrements or are unwilling to pay for them, then we probably will lose you as a season ticket holder unless you decide to sit outside the fifteen yard-line." I was essentially done as an NU football fan as of that day. I have the $$$, but greatly resent arm twisting.

This is exactly my point. You weren’t crowded out by lack of availability, but decided that the cost to retain your current seating arrangement wasn’t worth it.

Reactions: UpsetAlert
I have to imagine the NU Athletic department know better than to alienate long-time STHs, but then again who knows. They have certainly one some questionable things in the past.

As far as parking goes this year, I think they are between a rock and a hard place, and just don't have a good alternative.

All the golf course folks have to go somewhere. I suspect most of the golf course folks are there because they didn’t qualify for the East and West lots. So, what I struggle to understand is why so many that were in the East/West seem to have regressed to the garage. Maybe it is only a few vocal people! Surely, most aren’t kicking in $3K extra to park for 6 games, none of which is terribly appealing?

Could an option have been to greatly reduce assigned parking? Keeping it to the mega donors. Significantly raise the prices for the premium lots and have first come first served? No different than professional sports! Closer costs more, but it eliminates the quarter full lot syndrome NU has for non marquee games. If these fees and the increased donations “don’t move the needle” then why not? Is parking in a hospital garage really going to create potential new customers that want to return? Last year of stadium, some completely new process on the horizon, crappy schedule, seems like the ideal time to actually try to do something for the common loyal fan that doesn’t own 6 businesses! Creativity is not a forte of these people.

I dont think any of these moves for a better stadium have anything to do with NU fans frankly...I think it has to do with competing, Got keep up with the Jonses (apologies to Joneses out there who are offended) if you are going to get the big time recruits so you can win and justify the whole thing.

Frankly (apologies to the Franks out there and the Visogoths) I think we just should have been proud of who we are and marketed that. NU fans are not Ohio St fans and we should of have been proud of it..up until a couple of years ago we were fans who peed against a marlbe wall for gods sake....We shoud have sold us as OLD SCHOOL, rustic....we are the farmers market crowd...taken care of the amenities..yes better more accessable food. get rid of the metal seats...enough bathrooms...We are the band that played a classical halftime show at the Rose Bowl.....lets go back in time...hand out racoon coats, have pork pie hat day, have the team travel by train.

We were the fans that left early to get a spot along the train tracks for 6 quarters I am being of course a little facetious but what is the point here. Are we building this new stadium because it will raise more revenue? because it will improve the football team? Because we are embarrased?

but really the only point to me would be to make it better for the fans. which means accessable, fun , enjoyable and provides an opportunity for NU fans to get together....So dont use a food service...See if you can get local venders in...maybe food trucks...make tailgating better. seating more comfortable...but not alienate people especially fans who WANT to be fans and come to games so the focus should be convenience for the people coming to the game and an enjoyable experience when they are there (most of which is watching the game with friends)

So and god bless the Ryans...but the new concept seems to be trying to hit a new crowd....the Wriggly Field as an experience crowd not a baseball crowd. Continue to work on making it a family experience, cuz that is where we miss or lose fans cuz people in the NU crowd tend to be family orientated and are doing family stuff on the weekends. I mean it is about social contact and you have to make that easy, comfortable and enjoyable...not difficult and unenjoyable...other than making it all about a fancy stadium to hold concerts? (now that John Prine has passed , no one I want to see..maybe Myley Cyrus) just work on the fan experience and be proud of being a great NU fan in a shitty stadium ....

Any way it seems that the rebuild is causing more problems than cures.........creating a good fan experience, a gathering place for people to get together shouldnt be this hard or expensive...and a little more offense wouldnt hurt.

I dont think any of these moves for a better stadium have anything to do with NU fans frankly...I think it has to do with competing, Got keep up with the Jonses (apologies to Joneses out there who are offended) if you are going to get the big time recruits so you can win and justify the whole thing. Frankly (apologies to the Franks out there and the Visogoths) I think we just should have been proud of who we are and marketed that. NU fans are not Ohio St fans and we should of have been proud of it..up until a couple of years ago we were fans who peed against a marlbe wall for gods sake....We shoud have sold us as OLD SCHOOL, rustic....we are the farmers market crowd...taken care of the amenities..yes better more accessable food. get rid of the metal seats...enough bathrooms...We are the band that played a classical halftime show at the Rose Bowl.....lets go back in time...hand out racoon coats, have pork pie hat day, have the team travel by train. We were the fans that left early to get a spot along the train tracks for 6 quarters I am being of course a little facetious but what is the point here. Are we building this new stadium because it will raise more revenue? because it will improve the football team? Because we are embarrased? but really the only point to me would be to make it better for the fans. which means accessable, fun , enjoyable and provides an opportunity for NU fans to get together....So dont use a food service...See if you can get local venders in...maybe food trucks...make tailgating better. seating more comfortable...but not alienate people especially fans who WANT to be fans and come to games so the focus should be convenience for the people coming to the game and an enjoyable experience when they are there (most of which is watching the game with friends) So and god bless the Ryans...but the new concept seems to be trying to hit a new crowd....the Wriggly Field as an experience crowd not a baseball crowd,crowd. Continue to work on making it a family experience, cuz that is where we miss or lose fans cuz people in the NU crowd tend to be family orientated and are doing family stuff on the weekends. I mean it is about social contact and you have to make that easy, comfortable and enjoyable...not difficult and unenjoyable...other than making it all about a fancy stadium to hold concerts? (now that John Prine has passed , no one I want to see..maybe Myley Cyrus) just work on the fan experience and be proud of being a great NU fan in a shitty stadium ....Any way it seems that the rebuild is causing more problems than cures.........creating a good fan experience, a gathering place for people to get together shouldnt be this hard or expensive...and a little more offense wouldnt hurt.

I’m very glad you aren’t in marketing.

Reactions: DarthCat
All the golf course folks have to go somewhere. I suspect most of the golf course folks are there because they didn’t qualify for the East and West lots. So, what I struggle to understand is why so many that were in the East/West seem to have regressed to the garage. Maybe it is only a few vocal people! Surely, most aren’t kicking in $3K extra to park for 6 games, none of which is terribly appealing?

Could an option have been to greatly reduce assigned parking? Keeping it to the mega donors. Significantly raise the prices for the premium lots and have first come first served? No different than professional sports! Closer costs more, but it eliminates the quarter full lot syndrome NU has for non marquee games. If these fees and the increased donations “don’t move the needle” then why not? Is parking in a hospital garage really going to create potential new customers that want to return? Last year of stadium, some completely new process on the horizon, crappy schedule, seems like the ideal time to actually try to do something for the common loyal fan that doesn’t own 6 businesses! Creativity is not a forte of these people.

I was unaware that any/many East/West lot people have been displaced. If that is the case, then my assumption is that Athletics perhaps made a strategic decision to hedge their bets and hold back a number of spaces on the assumption that they could convert some STHs to $3,000 donors and then they'd have the inventory to work with. The email that I received basically stated 1) I was unlikely to get my top choices and 2) that could change instantly for $3,000. Shrug.

I'll say for myself, even if we could have gotten into the east or west lot, we actually love tailgating on the golf course - easy in/out compared to east/west gridlock, parking on the grass vs. asphalt, and it's only two blocks down the street. We loved it.

I don't want to pin this solely on Gragg, but I feel like what's happening here is a new regime has come in and saw "unrealized revenue opportunities" that they're not trying to maximize. Time will tell if they are right, but I'll say now, these options do not become more attractive to me at $2,500 or even $1,000. At this rate I'm imagining I just become a fan who makes it to 2-3 games per year.

We should know by now that demand for parking passes is much higher when certain programs are playing in Evanston, especially Iowa. Penn State probably increases demand as well, since any Chicago/Midwest-based PSU fans don’t get to see their team in person very often. And, as has been discussed frequently around here, it is my belief that fans from those schools will gladly plop down a couple grand to guarantee premium parking at NU because 1) it really isn’t that expensive compared to the world of P5 football and 2) they can at least recover some of their expense by selling tickets and/or passes to the other games.

Either way, ticket/pass gate revenue is never going to move the needle very much at NU. All about the BTN TV contract dollars.
PSU doesnt move the needle as much as dOSU, MICH, WIS, IA or even NEB. from what I have seen

Reactions: No Chores

We generally average below 30K There are between 12-18 k st depending on the year so it takes single ticket sales to get anywhere near 30K

You will haave a couple years to figure it out. Shinny new thing will have an impact for a couple years but then just like BB cost or donations required will come down when they figure out that the are having a lot of empty prime seating. Course by then a few of us may be too old to care and good luck getting us back after they have driven us away

Haven't you figured out that they really don't care? They consider success as max dollars regardless of other ramifications long term. A few GC people or outsiders may have ponied up the 3 K and that is enough to drive out some of the long term people that have been there on points. They had the opportunity knowing the rules and knowing about the loss of GC lots

Last edited:
I dont think any of these moves for a better stadium have anything to do with NU fans frankly...I think it has to do with competing, Got keep up with the Jonses (apologies to Joneses out there who are offended) if you are going to get the big time recruits so you can win and justify the whole thing.

Frankly (apologies to the Franks out there and the Visogoths) I think we just should have been proud of who we are and marketed that. NU fans are not Ohio St fans and we should of have been proud of it..up until a couple of years ago we were fans who peed against a marlbe wall for gods sake....We shoud have sold us as OLD SCHOOL, rustic....we are the farmers market crowd...taken care of the amenities..yes better more accessable food. get rid of the metal seats...enough bathrooms...We are the band that played a classical halftime show at the Rose Bowl.....lets go back in time...hand out racoon coats, have pork pie hat day, have the team travel by train.

We were the fans that left early to get a spot along the train tracks for 6 quarters I am being of course a little facetious but what is the point here. Are we building this new stadium because it will raise more revenue? because it will improve the football team? Because we are embarrased?

but really the only point to me would be to make it better for the fans. which means accessable, fun , enjoyable and provides an opportunity for NU fans to get together....So dont use a food service...See if you can get local venders in...maybe food trucks...make tailgating better. seating more comfortable...but not alienate people especially fans who WANT to be fans and come to games so the focus should be convenience for the people coming to the game and an enjoyable experience when they are there (most of which is watching the game with friends)

So and god bless the Ryans...but the new concept seems to be trying to hit a new crowd....the Wriggly Field as an experience crowd not a baseball crowd. Continue to work on making it a family experience, cuz that is where we miss or lose fans cuz people in the NU crowd tend to be family orientated and are doing family stuff on the weekends. I mean it is about social contact and you have to make that easy, comfortable and enjoyable...not difficult and unenjoyable...other than making it all about a fancy stadium to hold concerts? (now that John Prine has passed , no one I want to see..maybe Myley Cyrus) just work on the fan experience and be proud of being a great NU fan in a shitty stadium ....

Any way it seems that the rebuild is causing more problems than cures.........creating a good fan experience, a gathering place for people to get together shouldnt be this hard or expensive...and a little more offense wouldnt hurt.
Figure they are doing it because it is the last time that they can get into Ryan's wallet before he moves on so do it now or forget it. But then you have this Billion Dollar stadium and you have to make it exclusive. Problem is that there are not really that many NU alumns and fans that close. So drive away the ones you have at your own risk. A perfect example is yet another Wrigley game. First one was an event. Second one was more of a pain you know where and expensive to boot. This one against IA is a little better because in laws that are sports fans went to IA but other wise, I would not have bothered. But definitely could have done without it

That is a personal choice in the changing world of modern college sports.
Drive away existing fans thinking you are going to get these new fans willing to pony up. Problem with that is that that group is pretty fickle and would likely be gone as fast as they arrive. Especially if NU does not perform at a very high OSU type level on the field. As far as on game day, I prefer beer and brats to Chablis and Brie (the crowd they are counting on bringing in) I wouldn't count on that many willing to pay $10K on a regular basis for the college FB experience at NU.

Drive away existing fans thinking you are going to get these new fans willing to pony up. Problem with that is that that group is pretty fickle and would likely be gone as fast as they arrive. Especially if NU does not perform at a very high OSU type level on the field. As far as on game day, I prefer beer and brats to Chablis and Brie (the crowd they are counting on bringing in) I wouldn't count on that many willing to pay $10K on a regular basis for the college FB experience at NU.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too. NU is basically starting to operate more like a modern P5 football program, not even with the same minimum donation levels as our B1G brethren.

I like beer, brats, Brie and Chablis, but I won’t be paying 10k for a seat in the new stadium. NU has the second largest endowment, after Michigan, in the Big Ten. So there’s no reason to gouge a very limited fan base.

Without the fan base of the other schools, the argument that because those schools over charge their season ticket holders NU can or should also doesn’t make much sense.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too. NU is basically starting to operate more like a modern P5 football program, not even with the same minimum donation levels as our B1G brethren.
We are not our BIG bretheren. I for one did not ask for a brand new stadium. Upgrades are one thing but brand new Billion dollar venue???? We have no natural fan base other than a relatively small local alumni base. We are not a state school, we graduate only 10-20% what other schools in the BIG graduate and most of them scatter to the four winds. Reality is that our fan base is only 5-10% of other schools in the BIG. We count on visiting fan bases for 50% or more of our attendance and that group does not buy PSLs or, in general, make huge donations just to come to an NU game.

And no matter how much they bring in, it will pale in comparison to what comes in just in association with being a member of the BIG. Reality is that if they try to make too big of a money grab, they won't move the needle and could cut ST sales by 50%

I like beer, brats, Brie and Chablis, but I won’t be paying 10k for a seat in the new stadium. NU has the second largest endowment, after Michigan, in the Big Ten. So there’s no reason to gouge a very limited fan base.

Without the fan base of the other schools, the argument that because those schools over charge their season ticket holders NU can or should also doesn’t make much sense.
Not necessarily talking $10K for a single seat but $10k for season tickets parking and required donations for 2-4 ST could be in the cards. That would likely drive out a lot of current ST holders

We are not our BIG bretheren. I for one did not ask for a brand new stadium. Upgrades are one thing but brand new Billion dollar venue???? We have no natural fan base other than a relatively small local alumni base. We are not a state school, we graduate only 10-20% what other schools in the BIG graduate and most of them scatter to the four winds. Reality is that our fan base is only 5-10% of other schools in the BIG. We count on visiting fan bases for 50% or more of our attendance and that group does not buy PSLs or, in general, make huge donations just to come to an NU game.

And no matter how much they bring in, it will pale in comparison to what comes in just in association with being a member of the BIG. Reality is that if they try to make too big of a money grab, they won't move the needle and could cut ST sales by 50%

This is literally the whole issue. Right there. Couldn’t have made it more plain if I had tried. NU fans want to retain the “small, homey” approach that NU has taken for decades, but also want to win in the B1G. Hence my “can’t have your cake and eat it too” comment.

Not necessarily talking $10K for a single seat but $10k for season tickets parking and required donations for 2-4 ST could be in the cards. That would likely drive out a lot of current ST holders

Welcome to modern college football.

Welcome to modern college football.
The problem is that unlike certain of our bretheren, we do not have 10 people standing in line to take the seats that previous ST holders decide to not take. We don't have any (or they would already be ST holders) so when those ST holders move on, there is no one to replace them. And they cannot claim it is required because of the cost of the new stadium as it is donated.

The problem is that unlike certain of our bretheren, we do not have 10 people standing in line to take the seats that previous ST holders decide to not take. We don't have any (or they would already be ST holders) so when those ST holders move on, there is no one to replace them. And they cannot claim it is required because of the cost of the new stadium as it is donated.

… which is a big part of the reason that capacity is going down.

I’m not even really arguing anything here, just the amount of caterwauling around here about the program trying to modernize is wildly absurd to me.

Sigh....,

If construction does start after this year this will be the last year of the east lot. It will be sad..

I’m not even really arguing anything here, just the amount of caterwauling around here about the program trying to modernize is wildly absurd to me.
Modernizing is not necessarily good. A bad decision or policy is not enhanced because it is trendy or because everyone else is doing it. NU's new direction will drive many of us away - and the school's reaction: "who cares". I guess, even after 45 years of season tickets and a half-million dollars in donations over that time, I have come not to care either. Screw these guys!

When" modernize" means what it seems to here and sticking it to loyal fans the way they seem to want to do then the caterwauling is totally in order.

Caterwauling, great word. I’ll confess that I had to consult the dictionary for its meaning. (Five Hail Mary’s and five Our Father’s as penance) Surprising given the root that no one on this board uses it for their screen name.

Modernizing is not necessarily good. A bad decision or policy is not enhanced because it is trendy or because everyone else is doing it. NU's new direction will drive many of us away - and the school's reaction: "who cares". I guess, even after 45 years of season tickets and a half-million dollars in donations over that time, I have come not to care either. Screw these guys!

The school’s reaction is pretty well laid out earlier in the thread: we hope you don’t choose to stop buying tickets, but we understand that we are going to lose some people through this transition.

It’s not about being “trendy” or “because everyone else is doing it.” It’s about setting the program up for long-term success by providing resources commensurate with our status as a B1G program.

When" modernize" means what it seems to here and sticking it to loyal fans the way they seem to want to do then the caterwauling is totally in order.

As in the other response, it’s about providing the resources commensurate with our status as a B1G program. This ain’t your NU (or college football) of 30 or 40 years ago. Adapt or die.

As in the other response, it’s about providing the resources commensurate with our status as a B1G program. This ain’t your NU (or college football) of 30 or 40 years ago. Adapt or die.
Typical of you inability to understand someone’s point of view. Fans who’ve been going for years are deeply disappointed that they won’t be able to afford going to games. In keeping to your incredibly original “can’t have your cake and eat it, too” analogy, you tell them, in essence, “Let them eat cake!”
Thanks, Marie. Don’t lose your head.

They should put your name on the seat back with that type of support!

And you still do not get it. The athletic department gets $100 million from its association with the BIG. The new stadium is being built with donated money. So what does this money grab provide that isn't already covered? It isn't about providing resources. Those have already been provided. So this is nothing other than a money grab

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT