ADVERTISEMENT

Too much red!

Pete Purple

Mar 6, 2012
A lot of STHs must have sold on stubhub. Or, gave tix to Indiana fans (the latter imo is fine, we all have friends at other schools). But the guys behind me were insufferable. “Where’s the foul, where’s the foul?” the entire game. If there’s one thing we NU faithful know it’s that refs NEVER favor NU. But I was surprised there wasn’t more purple. I had a feeling NU was due to win a game “they weren’t supposed to win” and wasn’t about to miss it, but of course didn’t say anything to jinx it. Thrilled for the win and for Falzon.

If someone goes to the Indiana msg boards I’d love a report on the whining.

A lot of STHs must have sold on stubhub. Or, gave tix to Indiana fans (the latter imo is fine, we all have friends at other schools). But the guys behind me were insufferable. “Where’s the foul, where’s the foul?” the entire game. If there’s one thing we NU faithful know it’s that refs NEVER favor NU. But I was surprised there wasn’t more purple. I had a feeling NU was due to win a game “they weren’t supposed to win” and wasn’t about to miss it, but of course didn’t say anything to jinx it. Thrilled for the win and for Falzon.

The mood, shall we say, is a bit somber:

https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/threads/will-we-win-any-games-left-this-season.178894/

https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/threads/embarrassing.178863/

Pete- were you in Section 101? I had the same problem with obnoxious Hoosiers.
Agreed. That was the worst it’s been so far at the new stadium. I do hate my section 209 as it’s always flooded with visitors. I didn’t pony up, but they should really treat loyal people better who never miss games.

I’m in 102, but I think I heard your guys too. There’s cheering for your team, then there’s just being a bad sport. Yelling stuff about Gaines’ mother during free throws, etc.
Yelling things about anguy's mother? I think that falls more into the "bad person" than "bad sport" category. No class.

Reactions: drewjin
Yelling things about anguy's mother? I think that falls more into the "bad person" than "bad sport" category. No class.

He's probably one of the jackasses who blindly walks in line with Bob Knight.

Hoosier fans can be so great ... so knowledgeable, so passionate. Unfortunately, there's way too many on the other end of the spectrum.

Not good. I saw several posts about the arena being "too small" on this board when they were doing the remodeling, but apparently there are still plenty of seats left over for non-NU fans.
Well then , I guess it's time to reduce the capacity by at least two or three thousand. Seems that the last downsizing plan, which was supposed to cut down on seats being filled with enemy colors doesn't work.

Well then , I guess it's time to reduce the capacity by at least two or three thousand. Seems that the last downsizing plan, which was supposed to cut down on seats being filled with enemy colors doesn't work.
I clearly can't read hearts or minds, so I can't say with certainty what the powers that be were thinking when they sized the new arena, but I'm willing to bet they never thought, "Oh, we'll squeeze out more fans from other teams by making it smaller." I suspect they balanced cost vs anticipated demand and came up with the best scenario they could. They are probably happy SOMEBODY is buying seats in the new arena, although they'd much prefer it to be NU fans.

College basketball around the country is a decaying sport. Sure, there will always be places like Kentucky and Duke (and Indiana) who will sell out their arena, and their fans will look for opportunities to see games wherever they can. But for the most post, attendance is dropping. And at NU, with a small alumni and student base, a terrible history and a mediocre team right now, I don't anticipate full houses wearing purple very often.

Reactions: julescat
Full house last night made it a fun atmosphere, regardless of who the fans were cheering for. Arena size is perfect for NU. There are a lot of home games (19) so expecting purple clad sellouts every night in a "pro sports" city is unrealistic. Heck, Loyola, coming off a FINAL FOUR, isn't filling their much smaller arena this year and DePaul crowds are miniscule despite an improved team. I had Indiana fans all around me and they were rooting for their team, but none of them were jerks, however there are always a few bad apples. With the late start, perhaps liquor might have come into play?

Win more and more potential fans will attend.
Win more and more students will attend.
Lower “donations” and more STHs may be local fans who come rather than donors who sell the tickets to anyone.

Reactions: willycat
I clearly can't read hearts or minds, so I can't say with certainty what the powers that be were thinking when they sized the new arena, but I'm willing to bet they never thought, "Oh, we'll squeeze out more fans from other teams by making it smaller." I suspect they balanced cost vs anticipated demand and came up with the best scenario they could. They are probably happy SOMEBODY is buying seats in the new arena, although they'd much prefer it to be NU fans.

College basketball around the country is a decaying sport. Sure, there will always be places like Kentucky and Duke (and Indiana) who will sell out their arena, and their fans will look for opportunities to see games wherever they can. But for the most post, attendance is dropping. And at NU, with a small alumni and student base, a terrible history and a mediocre team right now, I don't anticipate full houses wearing purple very often.
Well it was mentioned numerous times on this board that a smaller arena would equal fewer visiting fans. Not sure if that was one of the administrations intensions but they have seemed to shut out the one and two game a year buyers, intentional or not.

I don't think our team is mediocre. The B1G is very good this year. There are plenty of good teams that are going to be .500 or worse in the league this season. We probably go 12-6 in last year's B1G with this team.

Well it was mentioned numerous times on this board that a smaller arena would equal fewer visiting fans. Not sure if that was one of the administrations intensions but they have seemed to shut out the one and two game a year buyers, intentional or not.

Is your position, then, that we might as well have made it bigger and just sold to even more visitors’ fans?

I think you’ve kind of argued yourself into a corner here.

Reactions: NUCat320

Attendance hasn't really been decaying at a rapid rate in the B1G. Then years ago they were drawing an average of 12,978 to games. Last season it was 12,197. You can actually trace a lot of the drop to the Illini, who were drawing more than 16,000 a game 10 years ago and were under 13,000 last year, which I would guess is largely a function of their poor performance over the last few years.

Attendance hasn't really been decaying at a rapid rate in the B1G. Then years ago they were drawing an average of 12,978 to games. Last season it was 12,197. You can actually trace a lot of the drop to the Illini, who were drawing more than 16,000 a game 10 years ago and were under 13,000 last year, which I would guess is largely a function of their poor performance over the last few years.

This is a good life lesson. It's always Illinois' fault.

I talked to one IND fan that got their tickets on StubHub and paid $150 each in one of the corners (not sure if that was including fees. Sorry but I do not have a problem with them selling.

He's probably one of the jackasses who blindly walks in line with Bob Knight.

Hoosier fans can be so great ... so knowledgeable, so passionate. Unfortunately, there's way too many on the other end of the spectrum.
Only takes a couple

It did. They were pretty subdued. If there had been another 1400 seats, all would have been filled with Hoosiers and it likely would have been less so.

They had a given foot print and they gave supporters what they asked for which was more bathrooms and concessions, plus theater seating. Then they went for the seats they could put in and to do all that meant a reduction in capacity of 15%.

Is your position, then, that we might as well have made it bigger and just sold to even more visitors’ fans?

Not really. He was just pointing out that a number of posters were complaining about the reduction in capacity and it is likely those same people that are complaining about too much red. He is just reminding them that they cannot have it both ways

Reactions: haywood jahblowme

No, as I see it the real problem are NU's 'so called" fans. Whether the arena holds 7,000 or 10,000 some of these wealthy NU folks seem to think it's ok to sell their tickets to the visitors. Post them on Stub-hub and you can be 99% sure in whose hands they will end up in. What they have done is made it almost impossible for a local basketball fan to buy individual game seats and still have the problem of lots of visiting fans filling the smaller arena. Solution?

No, as I see it the real problem are NU's 'so called" fans. Whether the arena holds 7,000 or 10,000 some of these wealthy NU folks seem to think it's ok to sell their tickets to the visitors. Post them on Stub-hub and you can be 99% sure in whose hands they will end up in. What they have done is made it almost impossible for a local basketball fan to buy individual game seats and still have the problem of lots of visiting fans filling the smaller arena. Solution?

Play better? It’s about all I’ve got.

One problem is inconsistency in scheduling. It used to be you could count on games happening on specific days and times. Now with TV, the games can happen on practically any day of the week. Plus the games can tip at either 6 or 8 central M-F or between 12-8 central on Saturday or Sunday. Here in NY I've forgotten to watch games even when they're on my calendar. Even if I lived in Evanston it would be hard to keep track of this.

One problem is inconsistency in scheduling. It used to be you could count on games happening on specific days and times. Now with TV, the games can happen on practically any day of the week. Plus the games can tip at either 6 or 8 central M-F or between 12-8 central on Saturday or Sunday. Here in NY I've forgotten to watch games even when they're on my calendar. Even if I lived in Evanston it would be hard to keep track of this.

But that isn’t just NU. That’s college basketball.

Didn'tseem like the IU folks had any memory problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fitz51

That’s easy! Make them wear a lanyard with their STH info on it with a photo ID. Make them enter by a special gate. If they don’t show up they can donate the ticket back to NU. No resale options for the good seats.

That’s easy! Make them wear a lanyard with their STH info on it with a photo ID. Make them enter by a special gate. If they don’t show up they can donate the ticket back to NU. No resale options for the good seats.

I don't really want to make the ten true Wildcat fans out there do anything more burdensome than rooting for this team through a lifetime of indian burial ground-type awfulness. They've already been through plenty.

I wish Northwestern made it easier to re-direct potentially un-used good tickets back to Northwestern fans. I have donated some tickets to the ticket office, but it required a fair bit of advance planning, while my failures to fill all of my seats tend to be of the last-minute variety. Finding pro-Northwestern folks to give tickets to is more time-consuming than it ought to be. The fans we spend so much energy complaining about here are towards the better end of the spectrum!

Many people aren't reselling their tickets on StubHub because they need to recoup their license fees (reselling single-game tickets is no longer the profitable game it once was), but because StubHub is super easy to use. Side note: many of the opposing fans in the lower bowl are (and I quote) "friends" not buyers.

What do you think of having a "Certified Northwestern Fan" StubHub to make getting extra tickets to Wildcat fans easier? I'd like it...

Last edited:
Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
We do not have as many fans as those other programs. And guess what. Their season ticket holders likely sell tickets as well. Just in their case, the tickets they sell are just as likely to go to their fans as the opponents. Why? Because they have a lot more fans.

We have a total of 60K undergrad alums over the last 40 years and a majority do not stay in the Chicago area. And also a lot of or alums are not sports fans and NU BB has not been worth following for the last 40 years for many that are. Add to that that many of the high priced tickets go to older alums. If you look at the stadium, the seats that are often empty are the high dollar seats

Reactions: NUCat320
We do not have as many fans as those other programs. And guess what. Their season ticket holders likely sell tickets as well. Just in their case, the tickets they sell are just as likely to go to their fans as the opponents. Why? Because they have a lot more fans.

We have a total of 60K undergrad alums over the last 40 years and a majority do not stay in the Chicago area. And also a lot of or alums are not sports fans and NU BB has not been worth following for the last 40 years for many that are. Add to that that many of the high priced tickets go to older alums. If you look at the stadium, the seats that are often empty are the high dollar seats
And NU site next a little city known as Chicago and millions of potential fans.

And you forget your lanyard or give tickets to friends? Bad idea. Once NU has sold the tickets they no longer have control, nor should they.

And NU site next a little city known as Chicago and millions of potential fans.
Quit the BS. How many programs does that make any difference?. Maybe ND for FB? Without ties to the program, it doesn't work

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT