ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread for No. 2 UCLA vs. No. 7 Northwestern

This hurts. It was a great year, but losing still sucks

Proud of our Cats. Would love to see them go at this again with Chase and Boo. And look what MN could do next year!!!

Reactions: drewjin
He was 4 ft from the basket there. I’m okay with the shot.
Thinking through it again, I'm glad he was aggressive and took the shot. Easy to second guess when he misses. He's creating shots, which Beran can't or won't do. We need that.

My main issue with BB is that he sometimes get so locked in that you know he's going to take the shot. Being aggressive is good, but he also needs to be more aware of spacing and getting the ball to teammates. That will come with experience.

I would subMartenelli for Berry.
Berry played a career high 38 minutes. It became a decision of Beran v Berry, and CCC just wasn’t ready to get Robbie back in there.

Martinelli played five real good minutes and I wish he had been in the second half rotation tonight.

He had a few single-digit games in February but had been averaging 11 mpg since entering the rotation.

Just ran thru all the comments... Surprised nobody said a word about Berry launching (and missing) another 3 from the corner when Nicholson (who UCLA simply could not guard) was standing alone by the basket, directly in his line of vision. It was a huge miss late in the game instead of an easy 2. Crucial mistake.

Thinking through it again, I'm glad he was aggressive and took the shot. Easy to second guess when he misses. He's creating shots, which Beran can't or won't do. We need that.

My main issue with BB is that he sometimes get so locked in that you know he's going to take the shot. Being aggressive is good, but he also needs to be more aware of spacing and getting the ball to teammates. That will come with experience.
The other 4 guys were standing around and not putting themselves in much position to give him anywhere else to go with it either as he dribbled around and posted up for like 12 seconds. Would have liked to see Boo or Chase do something to get in position to demand the ball and take the shot, but oh well.

I have zero problem with Brooks taking that shot. It looked solid to me and should have fallen. That would have completely changed the end game dynamic.

And we’ve seen him pull down his own rebounds, also Matt was there. Lots of opportunity for a bucket and maybe a foul.

In a game where our threes weren’t falling, pounding it inside. Cats did that and stayed in the game when it could have been a “chucking threes” kind of blow out.

I just wish it had gone in ;-

Great game, great heart, I’m super proud of this team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT