ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread for NU vs. IPFW

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshelton33

Jun 16, 2021
Northwestern (3-0) plays IPFW (2-1) tonight at Welsh-Ryan Arena at 7 p.m. The Wildcats are looking to build off their win at Georgetown in the Gavitt Games, and continue their undefeated start to the season.

I had this penciled in as a loss before the season because they are picked for first in their conference. NU is playing well tho

Reactions: drewjin
Cats getting lucky so far. FW getting a lot of open looks, getting by defenders, making good passes, and failing to make the shot.

Berry with a nice steal and score.

IPFW is going to be a tough challenge. But if the Cats are a solid team, they pull this out. Margin doesn't matter IMO. PLEASE give Nicholson paint touches.

We aren’t passing much and lots of turn overs after too much pointless dribbling around.

They seem a bit faster and crisper offensively. So far.

• Sad
Going thru a patented Northwestern scoring drought

Up 7 at the half. Could be better. Could be worse. I'd like to see them settle down on offense and use their size in the paint. I sound like a broken record talking about Nicholson not getting any touches down low but if you have that size with a player who has really been trustworthy so far this season, why not feed him?

I haven’t seen him look to create his shot in the post yet this season. You only get so many opportunities down low if they’re created for you or done by off ball movement.
That's sort of my point. I think that might have been his first touch in the paint. He's established himself in the post a couple times so far this game but hasn't gotten touches.

• Sad
That's sort of my point. I think that might have been his first touch in the paint. He's established himself in the post a couple times so far this game but hasn't gotten touches.
I feel like if he has the post up game in is move set we’d have seen it against these teams he has a major height advantage against. If he does then they need to start feeding him especially in the scoring droughts

I am so up and down on Verhoeven. He does the dirty work. Just need him to make most of the bunnies!

I dunno about choking. Our defense has been giving up open threes all game long. They just missed them most of the game.

• Sad
that was straight out of the Amazon best-seller "How not to run your offense in college basketball"
It simply does not bode well.

Cannot believe Nicholson got two touches in 21 minutes.
He did spend most of his time setting screens and handling the ball 23 feet from the hoop, so that probably had something to do with it. Either really bad coaching or just players who refuse to attempt the obvious.

Here's a thought... Nicholson parks on left side of basket. Guard drives right side of lane. Guard throws ball off backboard so that it bounces to other side of rim. Nicholson grabs ball and dunks. I'd estimate 80% success rate.
Maybe higher.

that was straight out of the Amazon best-seller "How not to run your offense in college basketball"

He did spend most of his time setting screens and handling the ball 23 feet from the hoop, so that probably had something to do with it. Either really bad coaching or just players who refuse to attempt the obvious.

Here's a thought... Nicholson parks on left side of basket. Guard drives right side of lane. Guard throws ball off backboard so that it bounces to other side of rim. Nicholson grabs ball and dunks. I'd estimate 80% success rate.
Maybe higher.
It was incredibly frustrating. You have a mismatch based off height. Add to that, Nicholson has been so efficient in the young season. Go to him. It's better than chucking around the perimeter. It just seems like that's not in Collins' philosophy...

Maybe higher.
I hear you, but that's not a recipe for success against better and bigger teams, so I suspect they were trying to run offense they project to be effective against higher quality teams playing small. Hopefully the problem today was that offense needs to face higher quality small lineups to be successful. :>)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT