ADVERTISEMENT

NU has construction camera operating for Lakefront Facility

Well... its a nice parking lot they've got there.

Don't let the camera many have requested get in the way of a good complaint.
Jeez.... relax a little. I was obviously joking about the fact that the weather there is so bad today you can't see much.

Jeez.... relax a little. I was obviously joking about the fact that the weather there is so bad today you can't see much.
Don't let a little cloudy weather get in the way of a complaint about a knee jerk complaint about a complaint , bro.

Reactions: TheC
Don't let a little cloudy weather get in the way of a complaint about a knee jerk complaint about a complaint , bro.

Don't let a conversation about the new facility get in the way of a little cloudy weather complaint to a knee jerk complaint to a complaint get in the way a of a new tongue-in-cheek complaint, bro.

Did I get that right?

Don't let a conversation about the new facility get in the way of a little cloudy weather complaint to a knee jerk complaint to a complaint get in the way a of a new tongue-in-cheek complaint, bro.

Did I get that right?
Ok... this is going too far now. We all know the fog was artificially pumped in to cover up the fact that there is no new facility being built on the lake. It was a perfectly sunny day down on the south beach.

#Turkwasright

Did I get that right?
Not sure, but I think I'm dizzy. :confused:

Bringing illegals from Mexico before the wall gets built......
Trump thinks there are too many Hispanics in Evanston so he is building a wall there too. Apparently Evanston is going to have to pay for it.

I think Home Depot is missing out on a profit opportunity. They should put together a cam kit so home handymen can share the excitement of watching paint dry with all their internet friends.

I think Home Depot is missing out on a profit opportunity. They should put together a cam kit so home handymen can share the excitement of watching paint dry with all their internet friends.

Nope, they are all over it....

de7a4611-7db7-40aa-a25f-668559bafab2_1000.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Q-SEE-He...ras-100-ft-Night-Vision-QTH84-8DF-1/206926579

I wonder what animation software they are using to create the illusion of work being done at the fake construction site? Lots of activity today.

I think they just keep it in a 5-minute loop. Some people will go to great lengths to disguise the Fake by the Lake and push ridiculous ideas like the Round Earth theory.

Reactions: NUCat320
Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I would really like a look at that but for some reason the link doesn't open for me.
I'll be driving through Evanston Sunday Morning. I'll try to take a picture for everyone.

Thanks for the update. Two observations. The structure looks like it is set back from the lakeshore further than I had imagined from the promo "photos" - probably due to "camera" angles. Second, that is an awfully long span that the two trusses extend without apparent support. I assume the engineers have factored in the potential of a heavy snow load which comes to mind since we just had the roof collapse on a building - also without central roof support, and of apparently even shorter length, here in Alaska this weekend. The new NU sports facility will reportedly be 500,000 square feet though not sure if that includes the portions already in place. (The collapsed Dome was 180,000 square feet. For comparison the existing Henry Crown Sports Paviilion was originally 95,000 square feet with apparently 30,000 square feet added.)

The building here was the largest inflatable athletic structure on the North American continent and was designed to withstand a snow load much greater than the one that took it down.

From Alaska Dispatch News:

"The massive inflatable roof of Anchorage's indoor sports venue The Dome collapsed just before midnight on Saturday under the weight of heavy snow, canceling athletic events for thousands of users and leaving the future of the heavily used facility in question.

No one was hurt in the collapse of the structure off Raspberry Road, which is roughly 600 feet long and 300 feet wide. The building had been evacuated eight hours before the collapse."

For an idea of the weekend's snow load, here is the accumulation being shoveled from the deck at my house.

IMG_5109_zpsswb7fiyh.jpg
IMG_5107_zpspzbjtyi3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CatsDad
Thanks for the update. Two observations. The structure looks like it is set back from the lakeshore further than I had imagined from the promo "photos" - probably due to "camera" angles. Second, that is an awfully long span that the two trusses extend without apparent support. I assume the engineers have factored in the potential of a heavy snow load which comes to mind since we just had the roof collapse on a building - also without central roof support, and of apparently even longer length than the Alaska Dome's 600 feet - here in Alaska this weekend. The new NU sports facility will reportedly be 500,000 square feet though not sure if that includes the portions already in place. (The collapsed Dome was 180,000 square feet. For comparison the existing Henry Crown Sports Paviilion was originally 95,000 square feet with apparently 30,000 square feet added.)

The building here was the largest inflatable athletic structure on the North American continent and was designed to withstand a snow load much greater than the one that took it down.

From Alaska Dispatch News:

"The massive inflatable roof of Anchorage's indoor sports venue The Dome collapsed just before midnight on Saturday under the weight of heavy snow, canceling athletic events for thousands of users and leaving the future of the heavily used facility in question.

No one was hurt in the collapse of the structure off Raspberry Road, which is roughly 600 feet long and 300 feet wide. The building had been evacuated eight hours before the collapse."

For an idea of the weekend's snow load, here is the accumulation being shoveled from the deck at my house.

IMG_5109_zpsswb7fiyh.jpg
IMG_5107_zpspzbjtyi3.jpg

You shoveling to get to your BBQ?

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I assume the engineers have factored in the potential of a heavy snow load which comes to mind since we just had the roof collapse on a building - also without central roof support, and of apparently even longer length than the Alaska Dome's 600 feet - here in Alaska this weekend.

I wouldn't worry, Alaskawildkat. I am sure NU used the same structural engineers employed more than 40 years ago who allegedly forgot to factor in the weight of the books in the then-new library on the Lakefill!

I would really like a look at that but for some reason the link doesn't open for me.
I'll be driving through Evanston Sunday Morning. I'll try to take a picture for everyone.

Not sure of your browser - try Chrome.

You will see the great job they did of pasting video of a real construction site into an image of NU campus and the lake (the breaking waves are a nice touch)

Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT