ADVERTISEMENT

NU has construction camera operating for Lakefront Facility

I wouldn't worry, Alaskawildkat. I am sure NU used the same structural engineers employed more than 40 years ago who allegedly forgot to factor in the weight of the books in the then-new library on the Lakefill!
Didn't the old Hump Dome and/or the thing in Texas also cave in?

The page with the live view apparently has been removed. Could this be the beginning of the fake by the lake?

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Thanks for finding it for me. I was becoming very worried. I like to look at all the standing around and front-loaders moving piles of dirt from one place to another and then back again.

"Thanks for finding it for me. I was becoming very worried. I like to look at all the standing around and front-loaders moving piles of dirt from one place to another and then back again."

Speaking of front loaders, there was a great story on the news here in Anchorage tonight. A pedestrian had stepped out on the roadway and got run over and ended up being pinned under the car. Other vehicles on the roadway stopped and their drivers found there was no way they could get the guy out from under the car. Just then one of them saw a front end loader on the roadway and he ran and signaled the driver to come help. Within minutes the front end loader was able to lift the vehicle so the persons helping could pull him out. Apparently he would not have lived if they had not been able to remove him so quickly. Last I heard the pedestrian was in the hospital now with non life threatening injuries. It was just by sheer luck that the front end loader had been there.

OK, I just found a link to the TV news story that includes video of the rescue:

http://www.ktva.com/passersby-rescue-man-pinned-truck-343/

IMG_1292.jpg

Last edited:
Iskaboo, I hear you're London based. Where abouts? And...more importantly, what are your favorite restaurants. For my wife and me, we are partial to Summerhouse.
I have sent you a private message (I am sure the rest of the board is not interested I London restaurant chat).

Wonder if this mild winter weather is speeding up the completion of this project.

This thread should be pinned at the top. I see they have 6 arches up now and some dirt has been moved around.

Wow, those cranes are skyscraper sized. Either they are kicking up a lot of dust or the construction equipment is inefficiently burning a lot of diesel fuel which for the present is obstructing the view under the trusses.

Or it's just raining.

Thanks for the update. Two observations. The structure looks like it is set back from the lakeshore further than I had imagined from the promo "photos" - probably due to "camera" angles. Second, that is an awfully long span that the two trusses extend without apparent support. I assume the engineers have factored in the potential of a heavy snow load which comes to mind since we just had the roof collapse on a building - also without central roof support, and of apparently even shorter length, here in Alaska this weekend. The new NU sports facility will reportedly be 500,000 square feet though not sure if that includes the portions already in place. (The collapsed Dome was 180,000 square feet. For comparison the existing Henry Crown Sports Paviilion was originally 95,000 square feet with apparently 30,000 square feet added.)

The building here was the largest inflatable athletic structure on the North American continent and was designed to withstand a snow load much greater than the one that took it down.

From Alaska Dispatch News:

"The massive inflatable roof of Anchorage's indoor sports venue The Dome collapsed just before midnight on Saturday under the weight of heavy snow, canceling athletic events for thousands of users and leaving the future of the heavily used facility in question.

No one was hurt in the collapse of the structure off Raspberry Road, which is roughly 600 feet long and 300 feet wide. The building had been evacuated eight hours before the collapse."

For an idea of the weekend's snow load, here is the accumulation being shoveled from the deck at my house.

IMG_5109_zpsswb7fiyh.jpg
IMG_5107_zpspzbjtyi3.jpg
I like your place . It is beautiful .

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
It would be nice if this was pinned to the top of the page. Looks like no one is working in the snow today.

That link works for me. Funny thing is because of the quality, the computer generated video of theinteriror looks more real.

No work today because of snow I think but there are many arches in place.

The next arch (on the ground) is the middle arch. They are starting to do roofing on the back half of the dome - you can't see this but I drove up to the roof of the parking garage the other day when I was visiting my kid who lives in Bobb.

The next arch (on the ground) is the middle arch. They are starting to do roofing on the back half of the dome - you can't see this but I drove up to the roof of the parking garage the other day when I was visiting my kid who lives in Bobb.
Did you take a picture?

So yesterday was the first day I was aware that my computer was now able to see the video stream. Something changed. Because of the snow , nothing was going on. Tod ay there are kinds of little men and trucks and a crane in the foreground working. Watching is addictive.

So yesterday was the first day I was aware that my computer was now able to see the video stream. Something changed. Because of the snow , nothing was going on. Tod ay there are kinds of little men and trucks and a crane in the foreground working. Watching is addictive.

I had the same problem a few days ago. Flash didn't load when I clicked on the link. It's fine now. Lots of people working today.

So, I'm looking at it now and it appears that you can see part of the sunset off to the left of the screen. That doesn't seem right to me. Is it a wide angle lens? or does that stretch of beach face a little bit North?

Looks like they might be getting ready to place another arch today. Somebody should write on it something about the NCAA tourney like a time capsule.

Did you take a picture?

I can't figure out how to post pics on this damn message board. The photo above asks for a URL and I just want to upload them. I have been meaning to ask, so if anyone knows, please advise and I will post pics as the project moves along.

I can't figure out how to post pics on this damn message board. The photo above asks for a URL and I just want to upload them. I have been meaning to ask, so if anyone knows, please advise and I will post pics as the project moves along.

You have to open and upload your picture to a picture hosting site like Photobucket (which assigns it a URL address). Then paste the URL for the picture into the picture icon box above.

You have to open and upload your picture to a picture hosting site like Photobucket (which assigns it a URL address). Then paste the URL for the picture into the picture icon box above.

Thanks.

The video seems stalled but it might be my feed. At any rate, they have assembled part of the next pair of arches. I'd love to see them swinging into place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT