ADVERTISEMENT

Talent deficit

DocCat2

Aug 25, 2005
I haven't watched an NU game on TV in a long time (and I had to turn this one off because it became unwatchable....).

Seems to me we just don't have any playmakers on the roster. Larkin has moves and toughness, but is lacking speed. Our wideouts look slow and unable to get open (and hold on to the ball). Skowronek is huge, but slow. Bowman is the master of the 2 yard catch that doesn't help the cause. Lees and Nagel don't seem to ever be involved in a big play. The Defense is a complete dumpster fire- unable to contain, unable to cover, unable to tackle, and unable to pressure the QB. Even our placekicker sucks.

What happened to recruiting? Our recent success couldn't lure any talent to Evanston? If I were Hunter Johnson, I'd bail now...

There's a lot of talent on this roster. Too much talent to lose to Akron like this.

This isn't one of Fitz's early teams where we regularly gassed and gave up big leads.

The worst part about this was that our offensive line was getting run over in the 2nd half and CT was being run out of the pocket regularly to the point where he made mistakes.

Our WRs were completely smothered...; Nagel had 12 receptions against a better Duke defense and was completely taken out of this game against Akron.

Reactions: etl1227 and IGNORE2
I haven't watched an NU game on TV in a long time (and I had to turn this one off because it became unwatchable....).

Seems to me we just don't have any playmakers on the roster. Larkin has moves and toughness, but is lacking speed. Our wideouts look slow and unable to get open (and hold on to the ball). Skowronek is huge, but slow. Bowman is the master of the 2 yard catch that doesn't help the cause. Lees and Nagel don't seem to ever be involved in a big play. The Defense is a complete dumpster fire- unable to contain, unable to cover, unable to tackle, and unable to pressure the QB. Even our placekicker sucks.

What happened to recruiting? Our recent success couldn't lure any talent to Evanston? If I were Hunter Johnson, I'd bail now...

You sure have a lot of observations for someone who hasn’t watched an NU game on TV in a long time.

You sure have a lot of observations for someone who hasn’t watched an NU game on TV in a long time.

Why? Does one forget how to watch tv? Or watch football? Maybe he didn’t strap it on and is irrelevant? Just make sure he sends in his annual lemming contribution.

Why? Does one forget how to watch tv? Or watch football? Maybe he didn’t strap it on and is irrelevant? Just make sure he sends in his annual lemming contribution.

He only started hyperposting on here today after a long absence. His screenname should give you a clue as well.

Please. You want credibility at least watch the games. You have a guy suddenly show up after a putrid game with all kinds of opinions? I would feel a lot more inclined to take him seriously if he said he HAS watched each of our games this year.

Rips on Larkin, one of the few bright spots. Says Nagel never is involved in a big play, well he had over 100 yards receiving last week. Skowronek is huge and slow. Great observation, he also catches a lot of balls. Says the defense is a complete dumpster fire, I don’t think you have even said that. Suggests Hunter Johnson should bail and talks about our recruiting when I don’t recall a single post from him on any of our recruits.

So go ahead and be the defender of all the poor picked on folks that suddenly reappear after a horrendous game if it fits the narrative.

It was a talent deficit. Are you seriously suggesting we have a talent deficit compared to Akron???

REALLY???!?!?

It was a talent deficit. Are you seriously suggesting we have a talent deficit compared to Akron???

REALLY???!?!?
Sadly, it appeared so. Their QB threw long frozen ropes that caught their guys in full stride (guys that beat our guys on the route or to the ball). Our OL got pushed around. Our kicker let us down. Their DBs displayed moves and speed on INTs that looked better than our guys. We got little pressure on the QB and when we did, we didn't contain

They looked more talented.

Reactions: Nihilist Rodgers
Sadly, it appeared so. Their QB threw long frozen ropes that caught their guys in full stride (guys that beat our guys on the route or to the ball). Our OL got pushed around. Our kicker let us down. Their DBs displayed moves and speed on INTs that looked better than our guys. We got little pressure on the QB and when we did, we didn't contain

No.

We have way better football players. What we didn’t have was better play calling and in coaching decisions.

Akron was not more talented. We lost to an inferior team.

The “in full stride” comment rings true with me. We don’t even let our receivers run in full stride very often. It’s all little these little 6 yards, stop, turn and sit still routes. That seems to be 95% of our completions. I’d like to see some guys getting hit in full stride. It’s not as if Thorson can’t throw that ball.

Last edited:
The “in full stride” comment rings true with me. We don’t even let our receivers run in full stride very often. It’s all little these little 6 yards, stop, turn and sit still routes. That seems to be 95% of our completions. I’d like to see some guys getting hit in full stride. It’s not as if Thorson can’t throw that ball.
No, but it seems that the speed needed to be in full stride doesn't exist, at least not in the play book. And the play design doesn't seem to get our players open "downfield". If it wasn't for # 53 and the other numerous penalties we wouldn't have been in the game. We just came out flat, no energy, no "oomph". And whenever we ran the ball, it seems there were always two defensive players ready to meet our runner. Overall, it never matched the highlights being flashed on the screen , from last year. not even close. And I would , for once, like to see our OL get a push on the defense and open a hole...it just doesn't happen. what a frustrating night watching it all happen

Thorson seems to underthrow a lot of deep balls... Persa mentioned that last night. The one long 43 yard completion could have been a TD had the receiver been hit in stride.

Anybody arguing that we lost on talent doesn't understand that there's 2 different phases of talent progression in a program: 1) recruiting, 2) development.

In terms of recruiting, we have way more talent on both sides of the field than Akron. It's not debatable, most of our guys had multiple (some a lot) Power 5 offers.

This isn't one of Fitz's early teams where we often wondered whether a lot of our guys even fit in at the Big Ten level. If these guys weren't on our squad, they'd be on another squad at the Power 5 level. On Fitz's early teams, a lot of those guys would have been in the MAC if they weren't on our squad.

Akron's guys don't have that option; most of them are just MAC level players.

Development is another aspect entirely; our OL recruits have similar levels of comparable offers as our DL recruits. Yet one line consistently outperforms the other. Why is that? That's a problem on the development side of the equation.

Why do we consistently have better QB/RB units than our WR unit? That's partially recruiting (our QBs and RBs are often far more heralded than our WRs), but also development and for WRs specifically scheme.

You can't tell me Nagel forgot how to play against Akron when he caught a dozen catches for over 100 yards against a better Duke defense. Akron game planned to take him out of the game and had him covered tightly most of the night, and they succeeded, it's on the coaches to adjust and figure out ways to spring him loose.

No.

We have way better football players. What we didn’t have was better play calling and in coaching decisions.
Explain how the play calling allowed their wideouts to torch our secondary. Or how their inferior offensive line neutralized our pass rush, or howour 5th year, all time TD pass leader was inaccurate all night, sometimes recued by good catches, other times not. While their 2nd year QB threw something like 6 accurate long passes, most of which were completions or interference. Or how their defensive line harrassed our QB all night and forced a strip six. Or how their DBs looked like that fast kid from Purdue on their pick sixes. Or how they could actually make a field goal

Faster. Check. More precise on long passes. Check. Stronger on both lines. Check. More talented? You decide

Explain how the play calling allowed their wideouts to torch our secondary. Or how their inferior offensive line neutralized our pass rush, or howour 5th year, all time TD pass leader was inaccurate all night, sometimes recued by good catches, other times not. While their 2nd year QB threw something like 6 accurate long passes, most of which were completions or interference. Or how their defensive line harrassed our QB all night and forced a strip six. Or how their DBs looked like that fast kid from Purdue on their pick sixes. Or how they could actually make a field goal

Faster. Check. More precise on long passes. Check. Stronger on both lines. Check. More talented? You decide
I did decide and if you think they have more talent I can’t help you.

Our talent is just fine for a Northwestern football team. The problem is focus and energy on game day. Why the team plays flat when favored is a mystery to me. We know we have a history of flat play when favored -- we should have cleaned this item up by now.
.02 and, Go Cats !!

Reactions: drewjin
Please. You want credibility at least watch the games. You have a guy suddenly show up after a putrid game with all kinds of opinions? I would feel a lot more inclined to take him seriously if he said he HAS watched each of our games this year.

Rips on Larkin, one of the few bright spots. Says Nagel never is involved in a big play, well he had over 100 yards receiving last week. Skowronek is huge and slow. Great observation, he also catches a lot of balls. Says the defense is a complete dumpster fire, I don’t think you have even said that. Suggests Hunter Johnson should bail and talks about our recruiting when I don’t recall a single post from him on any of our recruits.

So go ahead and be the defender of all the poor picked on folks that suddenly reappear after a horrendous game if it fits the narrative.

The good news is that I don't think Hunter can transfer again without serious consequences. Maybe he'd have to sit out two years?

But, that boy is probably thinking, wtf did I just do? They don't lose to teams like the Zips down at Clemson.

The good news is that I don't think Hunter can transfer again without serious consequences. Maybe he'd have to sit out two years?

But, that boy is probably thinking, wtf did I just do? They don't lose to teams like the Zips down at Clemson.
Great facilities, living in a metropolitan city, not a cow pasture, major conference, we should be able to get very good coaches.

I wasn't trying to imply we have a deficit of talent compared to Akron. I was speaking in general terms: the overall talent level seems down. In years past, our teams had some superstars, some speedy wideouts, some outstanding DE's who could sack the QB. In general, I don't see any superstars out there. Larkin is obviously our best player, and Green seems like a very capable superback. But Larkin doesn't look like has home-run speed.

The OL looks completely terrible and maybe this is why we look so bad. The lack of a downfield passing game may be simply because the OL is bad and can't protect long enough for a downfield pass to be attempted.

On D, we can't pressure the QB and our secondary can't cover well.

We certainly have more talent than Akron, but in general talent level seems down compared to previous seasons....

I wasn't trying to imply we have a deficit of talent compared to Akron. I was speaking in general terms: the overall talent level seems down. In years past, our teams had some superstars, some speedy wideouts, some outstanding DE's who could sack the QB. In general, I don't see any superstars out there. Larkin is obviously our best player, and Green seems like a very capable superback. But Larkin doesn't look like has home-run speed.

The OL looks completely terrible and maybe this is why we look so bad. The lack of a downfield passing game may be simply because the OL is bad and can't protect long enough for a downfield pass to be attempted.

On D, we can't pressure the QB and our secondary can't cover well.

We certainly have more talent than Akron, but in general talent level seems down compared to previous seasons....

Serious question, why do you only post after a loss?

Reactions: CatManTrue
Serious question, why do you only post after a loss?

Actually, he hasn't posted in quite some time. He generally only comes out of the woodwork after really bad losses to troll. That's why we haven't seen much of him lately...

I hate to bring up recruiting rankings again, but maybe the fact we have had the lowest ranked recruiting class in the Big Ten for several years is now manifesting itself on the field.

Actually, he hasn't posted in quite some time. He generally only comes out of the woodwork after really bad losses to troll. That's why we haven't seen much of him lately...

You trolls are frustrating. I, for one, consider myself a bleed purple fan. That is not a get out of jail free card.

If my family, my friends, other things I associate with do something I disagree with, I call it out. Same w NU.

In your dating lives, did your loyalty to girlfriends transcend any wrong. Did your blind loyalty overlook cheating, lying, whatever?

No one or thing gets a free pass for me. Call a spade a spade. I root for NU. I want MOAR. And I will call out what I think is wrong when I see it.

Will anything change because I do? No. I get to vent. I get to engage in discussion. And maybe I am right, maybe I am wrong. But your opinions of my fan card, or my loyalty to my family, or family or NU make no difference to me.

I suspect the poster arrives after bad losses cuz he is so frustrated, angry. He expects better. He sees how better could have been achieved. He is disappointed, let down, but will still root and suffer with the cats.

So go on with your koolaid klan and attack those that will question the things they love when they feel questions need to be voiced. Perhaps that is your therapy. But you kid yourself if you believe any of it is true.

Just find it strange he's absent when things are going well and only posts negatively. If that's the way he wants to live his life, so be it. But he's not above scrutiny either.

Just find it strange he's absent when things are going well and only posts negatively. If that's the way he wants to live his life, so be it. But he's not above scrutiny either.

I just think it’s funny when you folks think you were somehow anointed the fan card police. I can understand his timing. Frustration, anger, and a desire to vent where somebody else might care. Not many place where folks give two cents about NU FB. How many stores do you see w Mich and OSU gear, but no NU. Only so many places to talk.

I just think it’s funny when you folks think you were somehow anointed the fan card police. I can understand his timing. Frustration, anger, and a desire to vent where somebody else might care. Not many place where folks give two cents about NU FB. How many stores do you see w Mich and OSU gear, but no NU. Only so many places to talk.

No one wants to talk to people who only express negativity. Go talk to a shrink if all you want to do is vent.

Reactions: Aging Booster

Ironically you play the anti-fan card police. Anyone who tries to look for something positive is vilified and shouted down by you as drinking purple koolaid.

I'm not against venting, I do it too. But I don't only show up after a disappointing loss and create 4 or 5 new threads to bitch and complain.

No one wants to talk to people who only express negativity. Go talk to a shrink if all you want to do is vent.

Nice opinion. Doubt anyone will change their habits as a result. Glad you could vent.

Nice opinion. Doubt anyone will change their habits as a result. Glad you could vent.

Opinion? You actually think there are people who want to talk to someone who only spouts negativity? Ok chief, whatever you say. I guess the silver lining for us is that we’ll only have to deal with your crap until Fitz’s boys get back on track. Perhaps Lou will deliver the board a present prior to that.

Ironically you play the anti-fan card police. Anyone who tries to look for something positive is vilified and shouted down by you as drinking purple koolaid.

I'm not against venting, I do it too. But I don't only show up after a disappointing loss and create 4 or 5 new threads to bitch and complain.

Well, I didn’t start the klan bit until reading or be targeted by plenty fancard attacks. Maybe I paint too broadly, I have no scorecard and rely on my memory. So I apologize if I have labeled some unfairly.

I didn’t start after gcg until many, many pissy posts. At one time, I deeply respected his posts - the substantive ones. Til he became the arrogant, self righteous know it all. Now corbi has walked the same path. I don’t revel knowing guys that I used to respect despise me. But I can live with it based on what they have become.

I disagree that I shout anyone down. I also don’t start zillions of threads. Lots of replies, a few threads, timely revivals, back and forth aggressive engagement when warranted.

As for those that show up only after hard losses, I have explained why I believe they do so already. Since ignore is a cool tool to remove anyone you are tired of, use it. Besides, I doubt your complaints will change any posting habits.

Opinion? You actually think there are people who want to talk to someone who only spouts negativity? Ok chief, whatever you say. I guess the silver lining for us is that we’ll only have to deal with your crap until Fitz’s boys get back on track. Perhaps Lou will deliver the board a present prior to that.

You only read what you want. While I might not win a popularity contest on this predominantly homer board, quite a few well respected posters have written that they enjoy much of what I post.

But you can keep wishing. And it would be a joke anyway. An unlimited number of handles exist. Like I wouldn’t return. Handle is just a userid.

Even though I have not violated the written rules like other folks have - 2006 - I find it hard to believe anyone is getting banned despite hopes and prayers. Yahoo is dying, my contributions drive hits, hits increase ad revenue. Hate me or whatever, but if yahoo does any oversight, then nobody is banning me unless I break the rules. This is not a high school popularity contest.

You only read what you want. While I might not win a popularity contest on this predominantly homer board, quite a few well respected posters have written that they enjoy much of what I post.

But you can keep wishing. And it would be a joke anyway. An unlimited number of handles exist. Like I wouldn’t return. Handle is just a userid.

Even though I have not violated the written rules like other folks have - 2006 - I find it hard to believe anyone is getting banned despite hopes and prayers. Yahoo is dying, my contributions drive hits, hits increase ad revenue. Hate me or whatever, but if yahoo does any oversight, then nobody is banning me unless I break the rules. This is not a high school popularity contest.

Oh really? Where are those posters now? I’d love to hear from any regular posters who say they have enjoyed the negativity you have spouted on this board this weekend. This is not an anomaly. You only show your face to crap on the team, the players and the staff. Maybe it makes you feel better about yourself to constantly crap on people.

Oh really? Where are those posters now? I’d love to hear from any regular posters who say they have enjoyed the negativity you have spouted on this board this weekend. This is not an anomaly. You only show your face to crap on the team, the players and the staff. Maybe it makes you feel better about yourself to constantly crap on people.

I’m on my iPhone. Tomorrow I will open some archives for you. You might be kinda wrong on this assessment. Go back to talking about recruits. Those were much better posts.

I presume you’re responding to loony bob. I can’t tell as I ignored him and I am glad I did.

One thing I found funny: he keeps claiming he flew to the bowl game and gave another Cats fan a free flight. Yet that alleged fan has never emerged to defend him as a true Cats fan or a decent person. Nor has any fan claimed they like his posts or general presence on this board.

My guess: he gave someone that free flight and they couldn’t stand him, so they refrain from standing up for him and will never admit to having hung out with him. Or he made it all up, like his invisible plane, and is simply delusional.

Anyway I highly recommend the ignore button for him & other trolls. It’s my favorite new feature of this board (as I’ve never used it before).

What I say was initially we had a pretty good game plan against them and we basically stopped them without a first down for most of the first half. They made some adjustments in their last drive (ending in a FG) and found openings deep which they were exploiting and we just didn't counter the change very well so they were able to take it to the second half

I presume you’re responding to loony bob. I can’t tell as I ignored him and I am glad I did.

One thing I found funny: he keeps claiming he flew to the bowl game and gave another Cats fan a free flight. Yet that alleged fan has never emerged to defend him as a true Cats fan or a decent person. Nor has any fan claimed they like his posts or general presence on this board.

My guess: he gave someone that free flight and they couldn’t stand him, so they refrain from standing up for him and will never admit to having hung out with him. Or he made it all up, like his invisible plane, and is simply delusional.

Anyway I highly recommend the ignore button for him & other trolls. It’s my favorite new feature of this board (as I’ve never used it before).

This is what I like about the guy. Stubborn past the end.

Bob, has your negative experience as a diver with your diving coach at NU influenced your attitude towards NU athletics and NU fans?

Reactions: mikewebb68
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT