ADVERTISEMENT

Ty Berry - Sunrise Christian

Ty Berry has led Sunrise Christian to a #6 national ranking and had another strong performance in the Hoophall Classic as they smacked the loaded roster of Hillcrest Prep by 43 today.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/hoophall-classic-bossi-s-sunday-blog

any thoughts on why Berry is only ranked #120 in the country? He seems to be a leader on one of the best teams in the country and has all the tools. #120 is fine, but is average for a big ten recruit so hopefully he's under-rated for some reason. Usually kids at smaller programs can be diamonds in the rough but Berry has presumably got tons of attention playing on a top 10 team.

Reactions: drewjin
any thoughts on why Berry is only ranked #120 in the country? He seems to be a leader on one of the best teams in the country and has all the tools. #120 is fine, but is average for a big ten recruit so hopefully he's under-rated for some reason. Usually kids at smaller programs can be diamonds in the rough but Berry has presumably got tons of attention playing on a top 10 team.

His AAU team didn't win a lot and he isn't an off the charts elite athlete. His floor is higher than many players ranked above him. But perhaps the ranking services think his ceiling isn't as high. I respectfully disagree.

His performance with Sunrise shows he can lead at a high level. He can score at all 3 levels, is unselfish, sees the floor well and has great shot mechanics. Perhaps he'll get a rankings boost this spring. Regardless of his ranking, he'll be a solid addition to NU.

Because he pledged NU. The Rivals algorithms penalize him 50 spots for that.

His AAU team didn't win a lot and he isn't an off the charts elite athlete. His floor is higher than many players ranked above him. But perhaps the ranking services think his ceiling isn't as high. I respectfully disagree.

His performance with Sunrise shows he can lead at a high level. He can score at all 3 levels, is unselfish, sees the floor well and has great shot mechanics. Perhaps he'll get a rankings boost this spring. Regardless of his ranking, he'll be a solid addition to NU.

I've got to believe being under 6 5" and coming out of Kansas hurts him.

If Berry played for Simeon on Chicago's South Side and had the exact same playing history the discussion would be 4* versus 5*.

I've got to believe being under 6 5" and coming out of Kansas hurts him.

If Berry played for Simeon on Chicago's South Side and had the exact same playing history the discussion would be 4* versus 5*.

He’s playing on one of the highest profile teams in the country. They play nationally against top competition and he’s in AAU. He is not under the radar. He does have average athleticism for a big ten guard but everything else looks good. If he was an elite athlete there might be the 4 vs 5 star but his video is not 5 star. That’s why he reminds me of BMac—good tools, high IQ, good size but average athlete for big ten play.

He’s playing on one of the highest profile teams in the country. They play nationally against top competition and he’s in AAU. He is not under the radar. He does have average athleticism for a big ten guard but everything else looks good. If he was an elite athlete there might be the 4 vs 5 star but his video is not 5 star. That’s why he reminds me of BMac—good tools, high IQ, good size but average athlete for big ten play.
I will take another BMac

Boo Bouie had the hugely accurate national ranking of 327.

Boo played on a pretty good AAU team next to 4* Stanford recruit Tyrell Terry.

Not at all impacted by where he played his hs ball.

Ty got moved up 12 spots from 120 to 108 in the latest rankings.

You seem to follow Berry closely. Do you have any insight into how he is viewing NU’s current season? Are the competitive losses giving him optimism for next season?

I think he's in the same camp as most on this board. Concerned by early season losses, but optimistic considering the fight shown and the experience being gained. He thinks having him, Boo, a healthy RS-Jr Gaines and Chase Audige available along with Greer will allow the backcourt to have similar depth and talent as the frontcourt does with Beran, Nance, Young, and Jones, along with Kopp on the wing. I think he remains generally optimistic, but hopes for a few more wins this year. If not on the court, then on the '21 recruiting trail. Getting PBJ and/or Christie would be huge. NU does a good job recruiting when they target specific players, so I wouldn't be surprised by another solid '21 class (along with a grad transfer or 2 for next season). Those things would make me feel pretty optimistic, too.

I think he's in the same camp as most on this board. Concerned by early season losses, but optimistic considering the fight shown and the experience being gained. He thinks having him, Boo, a healthy RS-Jr Gaines and Chase Audige available along with Greer will allow the backcourt to have similar depth and talent as the frontcourt does with Beran, Nance, Young, and Jones, along with Kopp on the wing. I think he remains generally optimistic, but hopes for a few more wins this year. If not on the court, then on the '21 recruiting trail. Getting PBJ and/or Christie would be huge. NU does a good job recruiting when they target specific players, so I wouldn't be surprised by another solid '21 class (along with a grad transfer or 2 for next season). Those things would make me feel pretty optimistic, too.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Good stuff!

Reactions: cwcorgi-ks

Me three!

Just watched this clip. Damn that Zach Clemence kid can shoot for a big. Dude is 6-10 and absolutely crushed it from distance in that game. Was that normal for him or was it just a good day? If that’s his m.o., we could definitely use a guy like that.

He's a pick and pop 4. He's a top 60 kid with KU and many other Big12 offers. He'd be a great get for NU.

if he can make open shots on the next level i have to believe he will play. its an area we are greatly lacking in.
We have no body like that. He can shoot from distance, off the pass and off the dribble. Right now, I think Miller Kopp struggles because teams just stick a good defender on him who never leaves him. To next year have two guys you can't leave open really changes the dynamic of our offense.

Just watched this clip. Damn that Zach Clemence kid can shoot for a big. Dude is 6-10 and absolutely crushed it from distance in that game. Was that normal for him or was it just a good day? If that’s his m.o., we could definitely use a guy like that.

Clemence committed to KU last week.

This past weekend, Berry played a local tourney with Tamar 'Scoop' Bates ('21, Jersey #8), Gradey Dick ('22, Jersey #1), Jackie Johnson ('21, Jersey #5), Jordan Vincent ('21, Jersey #2), and a few other area D1 kids. Here is a little highlight reel. I went to the first game and Berry had 30+ including 8 or 9 threes and a nice dunk against an Adidas AAU program (Kansas Pray and Play). Bates and Gradey are both on NU radar and impressed as well. Apparently COVID-19 is not a factor here as the gym was packed.

That was fun to watch....but am I wrong to say that this is why we will not have a season....it seems we will have so many kids constantly testing positive...that it will constantly be an attempt to try and stay ahead of the curve...I understand New Zealand is different than the US but....it just seems that we do not have the discipline.or something to do what is necessary to get over the hump.....to really get back to having sports as we knew it and we just got ourselves to blame...Could be wrong maybe that was actually an example of how things will go....maybe everyone there had their negative test and temperature taken before they entered..Having said that , that was some great footage of some very talented kids.

This past weekend...

That was downright filthy. Nice to see the layoff hasn't affected Ty and can't wait to see him suit up for us. Also, hope everyone is staying safe. The people I know who have had COVID (w/ symptoms) say it's no joke.

As a fun fact, another Northwestern basketball player, Craig Duerksen (1994-96), is from this area. Craig's oldest son played on the same school team as Ty's older brother, and Ty played against Craig's younger son, so Ty knows Craig at least reasonably well.

Wow. Looks like the best I have seen coming put of high school to wear the purple in about 20 years.
Should get us instantly competitive.

Liking what been hearing about Berry.

Gladly would trade some athleticism for a higher skill set.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT