ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Chicago State vs. No. 25 Northwestern

So far this season, I managed to turn on the Mississippi State game just in time for NU’s ten-second violation and subsequent collapse. I did not see the Purdue game. I turned this one on at about 5 minutes.

I won’t watch any more games this season. Sorry.

I wish Berry made his shot and finished his sentence “that was so…”

Reactions: PurpWildCatNation
Wow. Folding under pressure. What a terrible display. Horrible game, terrible loss.

Was Preston injured this game? Not saying he would have made a difference.

This is why I’m never a fan of being ranked before Christmas. I haven’t looked at the stats but my recollection is that we’re bad in this first game after making the top 25. Seems like we’re never tested enough at this point of the season to defend it.

That might be overreacting, C. Hopefully, we can use it as a learning experience and motivation. Let’s do well in the league and we’ll be fine.
I don’t think so. This is a resume killer. We better be a top 4 team in a weak BIG or this loss knocks us out.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
I'd consider starting Hunger for a game to see what he can do. Nicholson has regressed from last season which is really disappointing.

So far this season, I managed to turn on the Mississippi State game just in time for NU’s ten-second violation and subsequent collapse. I did not see the Purdue game. I turned this one on at about 5 minutes.

I won’t watch any more games this season. Sorry.

I wish Berry made his shot and finished his sentence “that was so…”
Please don’t. Thanks.

I don’t think so. This is a resume killer. We better be a top 4 team in a weak BIG or this loss knocks us out.
Well, I’ll come back again if they rattle off enough games to make up for this absolute resume destroyer. Back to paying no attention!

Reactions: 2388bb
This is why I’m never a fan of being ranked before Christmas. I haven’t looked at the stats but my recollection is that we’re bad in this first game after making the top 25. Seems like we’re never tested enough at this point of the season to defend it.
Shouldn’t have been a real test, Chicago state is terrible.

• Sad
This was a pretty embarrassing game. CS played decently, but the Cats were just bad on both ends.

I was sad I wouldn't make the game, but I'm glad I don't have to drive home after this debacle. I can't even

• Sad
I'd consider starting Hunger for a game to see what he can do. Nicholson has regressed from last season which is really disappointing.
Correct. He was close to every offensive rebound and didn't get one. This is on Collins, team totally unprepared. Plus a couple of NU players played in a fog!!

• Sad
The one thing that comes to mind is Mississippi State lost at home, to Southern, which made no sense either. It shouldn't happen but NU better play hungry and take nothing for granted.

You must have been listing to the announcers the whole game.

If this team is gonna go without a bench, and Berry is gonna play this badly, NU '23-'24 can lose to anyone.

Reactions: 2388bb
Top 25 ranking is almost like a Kiss Of Death to this team, got to give credit to Chicago State, They were the more physical team, but these guys just got punked at home.. also, Collins has to stop being so relaxed in situations like this he had two timeouts and didn’t call not one of them to set up something you could tell the team started to tighten up end result this what happens you lose.

We had a game where no one played well except Langborg. They had a game where a few guys played great, and others were serviceable. This happens in D1 hoops. Let’s just hope we have the mentality to never let it happen again this year. (It will happen again in future years - guaranteed).

We had a game where no one played well except Langborg. They had a game where a few guys played great, and others were serviceable. This happens in D1 hoops. Let’s just hope we have the mentality to never let it happen again this year. (It will happen again in future years - guaranteed).
Not to mention, Collins and his staff got out-coached. They couldn't find a combination that could counter the CSU no-bigs strategy.

Reactions: catfans5
I wouldn’t say he’s regressed I think he’s the same Nicholson from last year. He’s still doing the same stuff lob dunks he’s always had a very limited skill set, I wonder what he was doing all summer when he should’ve beem working on his game to be 7 feet tall and have no inside presence is very sad.

We r not close to a top 25 team...maybe top 40
I wouldn’t say he’s regressed I think he’s the same Nicholson from last year. He’s still doing the same stuff lob dunks he’s always had a very limited skill set, I wonder what he was doing all summer when he should’ve beem working on his game to be 7 feet tall and have no inside presence is very sad.
Still think he should be benched in favor of hunger

Not to mention, Collins and his staff got out-coached. They couldn't find a combination that could counter the CSU no-bigs strategy.
Lol. It’s always the Coach.

Did you not watch Ty Berry today? Martinelli and even Barney were stuck in mud on D in the first half. You have a Big Man that doesn’t have an offensive game beyond 5 feet. Just a bad bad game. Lacked energy and WR was like a Masolium. Some people expect these guys to be machines and never bounce with an awful game. When they bounce, the cries that it’s the Coaches fault ring out. Move on.

I don't watch a lot of games but it seems to me that Nicholson positions himself too close to the basket. Balls are constantly going over his head. Plus who else on this team rebounds? CSU was constantly getting to balls.

what loss is worse?
Well, both tournament losses. Also, 2009 we played at OSU to get to 9-9, which probably puts us in the tourney. Lost that by 5. 2018 has about 5, I can name... Creighton by 3, Georgia Tech by 1, and all of those down the stretch that ripped our hearts out. All of those ACTUALLY spelled not tourney for us. This is a blip. Ya, it sucked, but it in no way prevents us from getting to the tourney.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Lol. It’s always the Coach.

Did you not watch Ty Berry today? Martinelli and even Barney were stuck in mud on D in the first half. You have a Big Man that doesn’t have an offensive game beyond 5 feet. Just a bad bad game. Lacked energy and WR was like a Masolium. Some people expect these guys to be machines and never bounce with an awful game. When they bounce, the cries that it’s the Coaches fault ring out. Move on.
It’s everyone’s fault. Players and coaches. No shame in playing poorly for part of a game against a bad team. But when you realize you’re in a game and don’t turn up the intensity to win the game it’s really bad. That’s on all of them. Including Collins.

Depends what you want. Offense or Defense. Big Matt is much better than Hunger on the Defensive side of the ball. Hunger’s offensive game will be better than any center we have had since Pardon, but he needs work on the defensive side of the ball.

Reactions: NUcats92
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT