ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread for No. 1 Purdue vs. NU

mshelton33

Jun 16, 2021
Northwestern (17-7, 8-5 Big Ten) hosts No. 1 Purdue (23-2, 12-2 Big Ten) at 1 p.m. at Welsh-Ryan Arena. The game will be broadcast on BTN.

Northwestern enters this game as winners of five of their last seven games, and will try to carry that momentum over to upset the No. 1 team in the nation in front of a sold-out crowd.

I haven't been this excited for a basketball game in a long time. 2017 to be exact. I got here about an hour before tip to beat most of the madness. Mustard's patio was packed (weather is spectacular, sunny and near 50) and there's a line out the door. There was a line wrapped around the arena. The student sections were already jammed. I saw Fitz and Mrs. Fitz arriving. There are a ton of Purdue fans here, but most of them are wearing black too, so they won't be so easy to pick out. I'll be interested to see if the Wilson Club seats are filled today.

Let's go!

Not a fan of these digital tickets. So far this year, my home game tix for WI, Purdue, and Indiana have disappeared from my wallet.

Good thing I got here 45 minutes early to get paper copies.

The students are packed in and the upper deck looks pretty full. Almost everyone wearing black :) there are even a smattering of people in the Wilson seats.

Side note, looks like the women have a red uniform.

Reactions: drewjin
Northwestern (17-7, 8-5 Big Ten) hosts No. 1 Purdue (23-2, 12-2 Big Ten) at 1 p.m. at Welsh-Ryan Arena. The game will be broadcast on BTN.

Northwestern enters this game as winners of five of their last seven games, and will try to carry that momentum over to upset the No. 1 team in the nation in front of a sold-out crowd.
Definitely can win 🥇 this game

Not a fan of these digital tickets. So far this year, my home game tix for WI, Purdue, and Indiana have disappeared from my wallet.

Good thing I got here 45 minutes early to get paper copies.

The students are packed in and the upper deck looks pretty full. Almost everyone wearing black :) there are even a smattering of people in the Wilson seats.

Side note, looks like the women have a red uniform.
Wear em down! Move em around!

Giving up the open threes, got
Lucky so far. Not sure on what happened under the net, looked like cats got pushed clear

We are putting Edey in the high pick and roll with positive results.

3 double teams on Edey led to a dunk, one wide open missed close range floater and one wide open missed 3.

That Audige 3 had NO arc on it at all. There was probably nearly 0% chance of a shot with that trajectory finding a way to rattle in.

Boo probably got away with a carry there, but that was a beautiful shot off the glass.

#3 flopping all day, finally gets to the line leaping sideways into a defender.

Bad goal tend call promptly made up by inventing a call on Buie
I thought the goal tend call was right on the edge. I thought the ball was at the apex. If the ball is coming down at all, it's a goal tend. I'd have to look frame by frame.

I thought the goal tend call was right on the edge. I thought the ball was at the apex. If the ball is coming down at all, it's a goal tend. I'd have to look frame by frame.
Looked like a bad call on replay to me. But even if it was not, feels like their doubts led to a quick whistle on the other end.

The defensive strategy is mostly working. They've knocked down 3s which is the risk you take.

I'm more concerned about our stagnant offense. Need more dribble penetration from Chase and Berry.

Our shooting is horrendous. I can’t believe we’re not getting blown out

Reactions: Cheech210
The defensive strategy is mostly working. They've knocked down 3s which is the risk you take.

I'm more concerned about our stagnant offense. Need more dribble penetration from Chase and Berry.
Chase just tried that and it didn't work too well.

Buie has improved a lot but Audige is regressing as the season goes

Audige really a poor offensive half. That’s a potential positive for second half…
You once-nauseating optimism is beautiful today. Let’s do it Cats.

Only three first-half turnovers for Purdue, on two NU steals.

Two free points granted by Barney (with a Beran assist). I hope they’re not decisive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT