ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Northwestern at Maryland

If the referees had made the right call in the Duke game and we were looking at 4-2 right now, the whole attitude of our fanbase would be vastly different huh?

Reactions: cedricmelons
Some nice long passes, the one in the last drive for a fg might have been a td if Lausch aired it out a little more. Still great we have opened up the offense. Defense with 3 turnovers also key for us. Too bad the nice td run was called back.

Feeling a lot better about the rest of the season if we can stay healthy. Indiana was very good, Maryland not so good. Nice overall for the Cats Tough games ahead though as well.

Last edited:
Lausch has really improved over where he was the first 2 games. Nice to see.

And our defense is good; I think this shows just how good Indiana was more than anything else.

Great to have a dominant performance like this.

Reactions: NUCat320 and MC_Cat
McGarigle's defenses have been solid to this point; Indiana is going to embarrass a lot of teams this year. That's a loaded offense built on the portal (both from Cignetti's prior stint and rest of CFB).

If Indiana's offense plays to its potential, they can win 11 games as long as their defense is passable.

And our defense is good; I think this shows just how good Indiana was more than anything else.

Maybe the most rapid and dramatic improvement I have seen in a QB in the course of a couple of weeks. He has been outstanding tonight. He did a 180 after the first quarter against Indiana.

I LOLOLOL’ed when Locksley was hired (an awful coach who was groomed at the Saban Rehab Clinic of Tuscaloosa), and I had no idea they’d won bowls in three straight seasons, but this sure feels like exhibit A when he’s canned in December.

Home game. Must win. Off a bye. Against an opponent on a short week. And mistakes mistakes mistakes. A loss despite outgaining your opponent by 50. A loss despite not allowing a first down for almost two quarters.

GO CATS GO CATS GO CATS GO

He has. He's not lighting up the stat sheet but some nice long passes and no INTS

Reactions: zeek55
He has. He's not lighting up the stat sheet but some nice long passes and no INTS
Yeah, it's the decision making that's improved so much.

Just watching him; he's comfortable and getting to the right decisions most of the time and the process is working.

His first game or two feels like a season ago; that's how fast he's improved. Hard not to like the trajectory he's on; he keeps learning/improving like this, and he can be the long-term answer.

Reactions: NUCat320
Great win tonight. Playing a team who had a week off on a short week on the road. Then the safety that was not called and ended up with a great goal line stand that forced the Terps to make FG.
Then Carmine with the great play and the game was basically over from there.
Some nice long pass plays. Now if we can run the ball our O will be much better. All in all a great 27 point win on the road in the BIG.

Reactions: zeek55 and NUCat320
Maybe the most rapid and dramatic improvement I have seen in a QB in the course of a couple of weeks. He has been outstanding tonight. He did a 180 after the first quarter against Indiana.
Lujan deserves credit.

Hilinski never got better. HuJo never got good. (Maybe a lost cause from the start.) Bryant and Ramsey came in as finished products.

Marty and Aidan Smith and whomever I can’t remember started unplayable and finished unplayable.

Last year, NU (specifically Bajakian) didn’t even trust Lausch to throw the ball. It’s almost as if he didn’t actually know how to coach a QB.

Lujan might be really really good. Lausch certainly is showing excellent signs. What a jump since the first half of EIU.

And, frankly, a ballsy and exciting move to give him the reins so early on the season. What a win!

GO CATS GO CATS GO

No in-game love for Mac Uihlein? That guy has really stepped it up and may have been the star of the game.
I've had high hopes for him ever since he got ejected in his first start in 2022 (for trying to kill a Gopher).

Also, Maryland looked really undisciplined and their defensive secondary was just bad. You compare them to Washington and the differences show up in Lausch's numbers. Lausch was confident and made good throws against Maryland. Nobody was open against Washington. But we should throw deep a lot more than we do whether guys are open or not.

Oh - and that was obviously a safety. The whole ball needs to get across the goal line. I don't think any part of the ball crossed the goal line.

The boneheaded 3rd down pass at the end of the 2nd quarter was on Lujan and Lausch. Braun was not happy and made that public after the game.

Reactions: phatcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT