ADVERTISEMENT

Injury Report: Bowser, Slater Questionable

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
This means that Hunter is okay, but I sure hope Slater can play.

Why is JJ Jefferson not returning punts and kicks? He's our fastest guy. The only half-way decent return we've had (other than the penalty-including return that killed us the other week) is from JJ. Is he dropping punts in practice? For many teams the PR is a weapon. For us, it just seems like we dread getting punted to.

The same reason Fitz has the defense in on many of the Punt returns. He plays it ridiculously safe.

Lees can catch and let it bounce. Really all Fitz wants.

Why is JJ Jefferson not returning punts and kicks? He's our fastest guy. The only half-way decent return we've had (other than the penalty-including return that killed us the other week) is from JJ. Is he dropping punts in practice? For many teams the PR is a weapon. For us, it just seems like we dread getting punted to.

Because straight line speed is not the most important skill that a good returner has to have. Lees has very good lateral quickness as well as straight line speed, he has good vision, reliable hands and makes good decisions.

Reactions: hdhntr1 and mmca
Because straight line speed is not the most important skill that a good returner has to have. Lees has very good lateral quickness as well as straight line speed, he has good vision, reliable hands and makes good decisions.
You do watch other football teams besides NU, right? Lees has good lateral quickness and speed compared to say, you and me. But he does not have the ability that most PRs for P5 schools have. The one punt return we got to see JJ make involved much quicker moves and then a quick burst into the straight line speed.

You do watch other football teams besides NU, right? Lees has good lateral quickness and speed compared to say, you and me. But he does not have the ability that most PRs for P5 schools have. The one punt return we got to see JJ make involved much quicker moves and then a quick burst into the straight line speed.

You are stereotyping Lees because he is white. You have no clue what you are talking about. Go watch Lees HS highlights when he played QB for one of the best HS teams in Illinois and you’ll see the speed and elusiveness that warrant his use as a returner. Whether Fitz gives him the leeway to use those skills as a returner is a totally separate issue.

You are stereotyping him because he is white. You have no clue what you are talking about. Go watch Lees HS highlights when he played QB for one of the best HS teams in Illinois and you’ll see the speed and elusiveness that warrant his use as a returner. Whether Fitz gives him the leeway to use those skills as a returner is a totally separate issue.
Yes, there is no doubt he is quicker than many high school athletes. But this is now Power5 college football. You can accuse me all you want. I see him return and then I see other teams return punts. Heck, we've had great returners of our own in the past. The only reason I bring up JJ is that he got one turn to do it (that I saw) and it was a pretty exciting return. I'd like to see more of that.

Reactions: drewjin
Yes, there is no doubt he is quicker than many high school athletes. But this is now Power5 college football. You can accuse me all you want. I see him return and then I see other teams return punts. Heck, we've had great returners of our own in the past. The only reason I bring up JJ is that he got one turn to do it (that I saw) and it was a pretty exciting return. I'd like to see more of that.

I'd like to see more of the return Lees broke against Wisconsin that got called back due to penalty. That was an amazing return. Reminded me of Brian Musso.

Last edited:

The reality is that Lees’ combination of speed/elusiveness/hands is among the best on the team notwithstanding what you believe. If you are annoyed that he doesn’t return many kicks, then you should take your complaints to Fitz. Lees is doing exactly what Fitz tells him to do. When given a chance to return kicks, he has shown good ability. A good example was the very nice punt return during the Wisconsin game that was called back due to a questionable block in the back call. A potential game changing play. He reversed field and beat the entire Wisconsin team to the corner enabling him to take the return upfield. You can’t do that unless you have very good speed and vision.

The reality is that Lees’ combination of speed/elusiveness/hands is among the best on the team notwithstanding what you believe. If you are annoyed that he doesn’t return many kicks, then you should take your complaints to Fitz. Lees is doing exactly what Fitz tells him to do. When given a chance to return kicks, he has shown good ability. A good example was the very nice punt return during the Wisconsin game that was called back due to a questionable block in the back call. A potential game changing play. He reversed field and beat the entire Wisconsin team to the corner enabling him to take the return upfield. You can’t do that unless you have very good speed and vision.
I think Lees is a decent but not great returner. JJ Jefferson could possibly be slightly more exciting, but I don't think he'll be much better than Lees, and he is probably more likely to make a mistake / turnover (Fitz would assess it that way, and he's probably right in this case).

I'm not quite as high on Lees at PR as you, but there are much more low hanging fruit to go after in terms of our coaching decisions than the choice to make Riley Lees the PR.

For instance, I think Kuhbander should have been doing kickoffs all season. Up until Wisconsin (when it was pretty good, and an excellent job on the onside and the sneak pooch kick) it was dreadful. Hopefully what we saw against Bucky is what we get going forward.

Reactions: RockfishCat
You are stereotyping Lees because he is white. You have no clue what you are talking about. Go watch Lees HS highlights when he played QB for one of the best HS teams in Illinois and you’ll see the speed and elusiveness that warrant his use as a returner. Whether Fitz gives him the leeway to use those skills as a returner is a totally separate issue.

And then he had hip labrum surgery. Doesn’t show nearly the quicks I saw on high school tape.

He has dropped enough passes that dropping punts in practice is likely as well. And that is much, much worse than no return yardage

Seemed like just 6 SRS on the two deep. Paddy will enter NFL but the team will have a lot of talent returning. Will lose two stars on D but still a lot to work with.

Being able to securely catch the ball is number one. Turnovers in the PR area are much much worse than limited returns

I think Lees is a decent but not great returner. JJ Jefferson could possibly be slightly more exciting, but I don't think he'll be much better than Lees, and he is probably more likely to make a mistake / turnover (Fitz would assess it that way, and he's probably right in this case).

I'm not quite as high on Lees at PR as you, but there are much more low hanging fruit to go after in terms of our coaching decisions than the choice to make Riley Lees the PR.

For instance, I think Kuhbander should have been doing kickoffs all season. Up until Wisconsin (when it was pretty good, and an excellent job on the onside and the sneak pooch kick) it was dreadful. Hopefully what we saw against Bucky is what we get going forward.
Didn't Kubander come off of injury? Do you want him putting him in position to be reinjured by using him in kickoffs or do you want to save him for PATs and FGs?

Agree that lee is the best choice at returning punts, simply because of great hands. Would like to see more of JJ on the kickoffs though.

Reactions: drewjin
Didn't Kubander come off of injury? Do you want him putting him in position to be reinjured by using him in kickoffs or do you want to save him for PATs and FGs?
He was fighting an injury last year... I'm not aware of him being injured this year but don't know for certain. I think it's just Fitz being overly cautious. Nearly all NFL placekickers also do kickoffs, and I think most college ones do as well.

I haven't seen any signs of Kuhbs fighting an injury this season, he's looked pretty smooth - but if he is and they've been hiding it then obviously I would retract my complaint.

Last week Whillock was listed as questionable, and then he went off for 13 tackles, 1 TFL, and 1 sack. Hopefully Bowser and Slater are able to play and then take a break with the week off coming up.

Last week Whillock was listed as questionable, and then he went off for 13 tackles, 1 TFL, and 1 sack. Hopefully Bowser and Slater are able to play and then take a break with the week off coming up.

At least questionable gives more hope for participation than “doubtful” or “out”.

You can’t get sacked on a punt return.

Because he struggles to catch a ball

And then he had hip labrum surgery. Doesn’t show nearly the quicks I saw on high school tape.

- FYI folks, Lees did NOT have Hip Labrum Surgery or even a hip injury.
- Quicks? Holiday Bowl Wildcat TD looked like vintage LEES Quick from H.S.
- Lees is averaging 12.3 yards per punt return, LEADS the Big 10 and 18th NATIONALLY...
- He fields every punt and catches every pass WITHOUT fumbling, Fitz knows how reliable he is back there. Not Lees Fault if he is TOLD to fair catch and move up short on punt returns.
- This summer Lees was matched up against EVERY other speedster on the Northwester squad in one-on-one match races...he WON EVERY one of those races, multiple times - He is the fastest kid on this team...not even close...
- and by the way, watch him block, a complete FOOTBALL PLAYER.

Agreed! I love Jefferson!

- Lees is averaging 12.3 yards per punt return, LEADS the Big 10 and 18th NATIONALLY...
- He fields every punt and catches every pass WITHOUT fumbling, Fitz knows how reliable he is back there. Not Lees Fault if he is TOLD to fair catch and move up short on punt returns.
- This summer Lees was matched up against EVERY other speedster on the Northwester squad in one-on-one match races...he WON EVERY one of those races, multiple times - He is the fastest kid on this team...not even close...

Could have sworn he had hip surgery between senior year of high school and playing as a redshirt freshman.

Fair enough. Hard to argue with facts -taking them all at face value. Why is Lees never a deep threat in our offense then?

Could have sworn he had hip surgery between senior year of high school and playing as a redshirt freshman.

nope...

Lees is a baller. Have we used him in the Wildcat formation yet this year? Last year he was very effective running it.

Fair enough. Hard to argue with facts -taking them all at face value. Why is Lees never a deep threat in our offense then?

was WIDE open (4-5 yards) deep vs. Stanford, but TJ was plastered as he released the ball.

wide open vs Wisconsin and both not thrown to or pass was delivered in the wrong window.

Do you watch the games or do you just make inaccurate comments?

was WIDE open (4-5 yards) deep vs. Stanford, but TJ was plastered as he released the ball.

wide open vs Wisconsin and both not thrown to or pass was delivered in the wrong window.

Do you watch the games or do you just make inaccurate comments?
Whoa... I thought I was pretty respectful in my response to your post. Not sure where the harshness is coming from. It was a serious question. When I think of our deep threats, I remember plays by Skowroneck and JJ and a couple by McGowan, but I don't remember any by Lees. It seemed like a missed opportunity. You are saying there were some shots taken toward Lees, but they didn't connect. I'm glad to hear that (well.... I'd be happier if they worked!). I only see the games on TV living far from Evanston, so I only see the plays where the ball goes to him I guess.

Lees is a baller. Have we used him in the Wildcat formation yet this year? Last year he was very effective running it.

I haven't seen him in the Wildcat this year. I would guess that HJ is fast enough that they can just call a QB run with him in there.

Lees is definitely a baller and I hope he gets going tomorrow.

Because our OL can’t hold their blocks for two seconds. How do you suggest Lees or anybody else get “deep” in less that two seconds? Should they teleport themselves downfield?
The same way the ball gets to Skowroneck and JJ and McGowan over the past couple of years.

Reactions: ricko654321
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT