ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread for NU v. Maryland

mshelton33

Jun 16, 2021
Northwestern (8-5, 1-3 Big Ten) looks to snap a three-game losing streak and win their second game against Maryland (8-7, 0-4 Big Ten) this season.

Since first timeout at 16 we ran one good possession on offense and it was the first one. Young scored. All others have been garbage

So sick of our missing fast-break opportunities and giving up points on the resulting fast break. It literally happens over 90% of the time.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
This is some ugly, ugly basketball. Cats haven't made a field goal in more than 3 minutes and are just 2 of their last 12.

And yet, NU is somehow in the lead.

We’ve got to find something for Simmons to do on offense. It doesn’t even have to be productive. Just a move or something that he can do with confidence. Now he just stands in the corner and occasionally awkwardly fakes toward the basket.
I like his defense, and he’s certainly a B1G quality athlete, but he’s just lost on the offensive end.

Seems like Ryan young has really regressed. Travels often can't seem to make shots doesn't play defense as well as previously wonder what's going on with him. I know white boy thinks he's the best player on the team but I don't think so

Love Audige's defense against Ayala and his general demeanor. It just exudes a**hole. Cats could use more of that.

Reactions: PURPLECAT88
Roper, on the other hand, absolutely belongs. He’s not really playing particularly well tonight, but he has a sense of what to do out there.

Roper, on the other hand, absolutely belongs. He’s not really playing particularly well tonight, but he has a sense of what to do out there.
Understatement. He's been a massive liability tonight, missing a breakaway layup and fouling twice, including on a four-point play. But I agree he looks the part of a Big Ten player.

Reactions: PURPLECAT88
There is no rhyme or reason to our offense.

Young has not regressed. The other teams have figured out our offense.

Maryland goes down low and abuse our players.

Chase Audige cannot shoot. He should not be permitted to shoot ever again. Let him play defense and rebound only.

Worse FG%, worse 3pt%, and NU is tied with Maryland at the half. I guess I'll take it. Helps that their big guys are in a bit of foul trouble too. Let's pound them in the second half.

Chase can play but he can't shoot a 3-pointer. Greer seems to be a liability of late.

I don’t understand why Collins doesn’t sit Audige down every time he takes and misses a three early in the shot clock until he gets the message. It might cost us in the short run, but how else can Collins get this guy under control?

None of the players shoot well. Watching the 2nd half warm ups and we do not shoot well at all.

There is no rhyme or reason to our offense.

Young has not regressed. The other teams have figured out our offense.

Maryland goes down low and abuse our players.
The only time during the first half it looked like our guys were moving with a purpose, synchronized, knowing what they were doing, was out of bounds plays. I hope our offense clicks, otherwise this has all the signs of a heartbreaking 2 last minutes close loss.

Something is very very wrong with this team. No flow, no continuity, there is no floor general to get things settled down and run the offense. As everyone can see tonight Buie is a huge liability on both ends of the floor.

Something is very very wrong with this team. No flow, no continuity, there is no floor general to get things settled down and run the offense. As everyone can see tonight Buie is a huge liability on both ends of the floor.
He was last year as well. A small amount of improvement this year just isn’t as much as we hope / need.

Looks like Audige is going to play through pain for this very reason.
Unfortunately he can’t also guard Hart. Scott is not playing particularly well, Russell is mostly scoring on defensive brain farts. That leaves Ayala and Hart. Berry is great in passing lanes but very susceptible to being physically abused by Hart

Williams went 1-4 on bunnies in about four seconds and finally scored. That’s progress.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT