ADVERTISEMENT

NU has construction camera operating for Lakefront Facility

Lots of visible progress the last couple of days. Nice sunny day today should move things right along.

I looked at the webcam at 1.15pm my time, which is 7.15am in Evanston, and one of the cranes was already operating and there were a lot of workers milling around. It appears that work on the Fitz Fortress begins early ... what time do they knock off?

I looked at the webcam at 1.15pm my time, which is 7.15am in Evanston, and one of the cranes was already operating and there were a lot of workers milling around. It appears that work on the Fitz Fortress begins early ... what time do they knock off?
They start at 0700, and usually stop around 1600 although if they are on a roll erecting steel they can work later. They also work 6 days a week which is pretty amazing.

Hey Deering, big doings at Taj Fitz today. They moved the South crane to where the North one was and looks like they are taking the North crane apart.

Hey Deering, big doings at Taj Fitz today. They moved the South crane to where the North one was and looks like they are taking the North crane apart.
I was just going to post that it looks like one of the cranes is flying the coup.

I noticed a new shorter but very stout crane early this am. Not sure if it is a replacement for the one big one what it is for.

I was just going to post that it looks like one of the cranes is flying the coup.

I noticed a new shorter but very stout crane early this am. Not sure if it is a replacement for the one big one what it is for.

The short one was used yesterday to dismantle the North crane and load the bit onto trucks.

It's tough to tell for sure, but I just checked out the camera feed, and it looks like they're starting to put the roof on the enclosed field section.

It's tough to tell for sure, but I just checked out the camera feed, and it looks like they're starting to put the roof on the enclosed field section.
That has been in place at the far side for a while. Every once and a while I think they make a little movement. I don't know what is holding them up but I think they like the light.

That has been in place at the far side for a while. Every once and a while I think they make a little movement. I don't know what is holding them up but I think they like the light.

I suspect the weather hasn't helped either. High winds and rain must limit when they can work on the roof.

I suspect the weather hasn't helped either. High winds and rain must limit when they can work on the roof.
Well, that would certainly be true and perhaps they discovered those issues when they first started. If you remember a couple of months ago someone posted pictures from the other end of the building. In those shots a small portion of the roof was in place at that end. a little more was added about a month ago, I noticed and now maybe a little more. I bet you are right about the weather.

Well, that would certainly be true and perhaps they discovered those issues when they first started. If you remember a couple of months ago someone posted pictures from the other end of the building. In those shots a small portion of the roof was in place at that end. a little more was added about a month ago, I noticed and now maybe a little more. I bet you are right about the weather.

You can't see the progress online but I drove by yesterday and glass is starting to be put up on the lower facade of the north side of indoor field. Remember that there is 30 feet of building underground and I can only imagine that the electrical and HVAC work in that part of the building, which is now enclosed, is moving forward as well.

That's cool getting to watch the little people walking around. Sure beats the webcams of a decade ago.

Screen shot from a few moments ago (and yeah, the red crane on the right was swinging away):

CLICK TO ENLARGE:
IMG_8614_zpsey6sclvo.jpg

I wonder who rides the school bus to the work site...

I wonder who rides the school bus to the work site...
I asked that question way earlier in this thread (I think it's on the first page) and the reply I received was "... Bringing illegals from Mexico before the wall gets built ......"

Hey Deering, did you see that they finished the framing of the fieldhouse yesterday? The last bit was the NE corner, which hangs over the breakwater and will make for a dramatic view on the practice field.

Hey Deering, did you see that they finished the framing of the fieldhouse yesterday? The last bit was the NE corner, which hangs over the breakwater and will make for a dramatic view on the practice field.
I haven't been checkin quite as often these last couple of weeks as we have been the middle of a move to Utah. Progress has been pretty steady.

Of course we can only see large movement, on one side. Occasionally you can see the top of a crane working the far side and the roof is definitely coming across.

It's very cool.

I haven't been checkin quite as often these last couple of weeks as we have been the middle of a move to Utah. Progress has been pretty steady.

Of course we can only see large movement, on one side. Occasionally you can see the top of a crane working the far side and the roof is definitely coming across.

It's very cool.
Moving sucks. Hope your move is going smoothly.

Moving sucks. Hope your move is going smoothly.
I think it is going as well as can be expected. It is just that when you've in one place for 30 years, no matter how much you get rid of, it isn't enough.

Check it out the guys are on the camera side of the roof. Looks like just a two man crew.

They're adding more roof panels. I just saw a guy slide down the roof on his butt.

They're adding more roof panels. I just saw a guy slide down the roof on his butt.

It is impossible to tell at this distance but I think they are on some sort of belay or repelling system. I say that because I watched a couple of guys sliding down and there appeared to be some kind of resistance unrelated to the roof.

Good thing there are not more camera angles, I'd be watch ing all day. I tune in for a couple of minutes about twice a day.

Something has changed about the live feed and I no longer get a nice moving picture or enlarge it. Oh Well, I'll have to go back to crystal meth.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
They didn't do any work the last 2 days. Did NU run out of money?

I noticed the same thing. Seems unusual to suspend work entirely. I know some companies take a company wide shut down for summer vacation to avoid lack of continuity in staffing. Maybe this is their time.

Francis Searle building. Ugly.

I remember watching it being built during my stint at Sargent Hall. At the time it was called "The Communicative Disorders Building." We surmised that the contractors involved all had communicative disorders.

Reactions: Gladeskat
I noticed the same thing. Seems unusual to suspend work entirely. I know some companies take a company wide shut down for summer vacation to avoid lack of continuity in staffing. Maybe this is their time.

Back to work today. Pat Ryan must have written another $25 Million check.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT