ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Purdue vs. Northwestern

mshelton33

Jun 16, 2021
Northwestern (5-1) hosts No. 1 Purdue (7-0) at Welsh-Ryan Arena tonight at 8 p.m. The game will air on BTN.

The Wildcats are off to a solid start this season, picking up a win over Dayton and dropping their matchup with Mississippi State. I don't need to remind you all what happened the last time No. 1 Purdue came into this building, and I don't need to remind the Boilermakers out there. They'll be out for vengeance, and the Wildcats will have their toughest test of the season by far before they take a nine-day break for finals.

Northwestern (5-1) hosts No. 1 Purdue (7-0) at Welsh-Ryan Arena tonight at 8 p.m. The game will air on BTN.

The Wildcats are off to a solid start this season, picking up a win over Dayton and dropping their matchup with Mississippi State. I don't need to remind you all what happened the last time No. 1 Purdue came into this building, and I don't need to remind the Boilermakers out there. They'll be out for vengeance, and the Wildcats will have their toughest test of the season by far before they take a nine-day break for finals.

The student sections were full about 45 minutes to tip-off. When I got here more than an hour before the game, there were students waiting outside in a line -- on a cold, rainy night.

There's a definite buzz in the building tonight. Welsh-Ryan is jumping already. I think there will be a lot of Boiler fans in the stands, once again, but a lot of NU fans are wearing black because the Cats are wearing their Gothic uniforms), so they won't show up as much.

The students are packing it in. Up here in the cheap seats, the smell of beer is a bit overwhelming.

Go Cats!!

Reactions: drewjin
The student sections were full about 45 minutes to tip-off. When I got here more than an hour before the game, there were students waiting outside in a line -- on a cold, rainy night.

There's a definite buzz in the building tonight. Welsh-Ryan is jumping already. I think there will be a lot of Boiler fans in the stands, once again, but a lot of NU fans are wearing black because the Cats are wearing their Gothic uniforms), so they won't show up as much.
The other thing I should mention is that Steve Greenberg from the Sun-Times and Paul Sullivan from the Tribune are both here (I haven't seen Paul, but his name is on the list). We don't get that very often.

So Edey has been drawing a whopping 10 fouls/40 minutes, which I don't think I've ever seen before. Think how we handle that is going to decide the game

Too many fouls early on. Don't know if NU benefits if refs are calling it tight, especially because Edey is a pretty good free-throw shooter for a big man.

Edey is good at going over backs and reaching thru guys to get hands on rebounds. He is looking to block. I think boo can get him off his feet for some fouls.

Cats need to score some more.

That bounce pass from Morton on the fast break was beautiful.

I can't tell if Edey is a decent rebounder so much as he's just tall, but he's definitely got pretty much everything else.

Boo's drive made me think to myself, "I can't believe NU honestly has one of the best players in the country, but it's true."

That bounce pass from Morton on the fast break was beautiful.

I can't tell if Edey is a decent rebounder so much as he's just tall, but he's definitely got pretty much everything else.

Boo's drive made me think to myself, "I can't believe NU honestly has one of the best players in the country, but it's true."
I had the same thought. That was so smooth. I already miss him.

Reactions: SmellyCat
Purdue is better this year and I fear we are a little worse

Can’t upset number one when shooting this poorly

Purdue is clearly a better team, but that doesn't make them unbeatable. Losing every rebound to them does.

Our last three shots were open and looked good, just rimmed out. Berry put a nice three in.

It appears that the story BTN wants to tell tonight is how many fouls Edey draws. And I have to admit, so far it looks like the right story.

Reactions: Gatabowl
Stating the obvious, but we knew we couldn’t stay with them trading baskets. Defense has to be better.

Well…. it looked at one point like we were going to get run out of the gym, but we held on and kept it to single digits at the half. Need to shoot better in the second.

Hopefully at half we can adjust the defense to recover better off the double team. Just can’t really leave Edey 1-1 with anyone.

We just need to get hot from three point land. Feels like Boo or Langborg could go off. Need Barnhizer to finish his shots too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT