ADVERTISEMENT

Official game thread for NU vs. NU

I am really not sure how McHugh gets playing time. We must not have any other WRs

Bench him vitale mchugh shuler. Anyone else has to be better. If not maybe good experience for them for next year. Amazingly poor play for 2 years now at WR SB
How about utilizing Garret Dickerson more. He can run, has good hands, split him out once in awhile. Mix it up a bit.

Nebby's D didn't look good...it seems that several of them should have tackled him...some looked extremely slow also....then again, CT's deserves credit for what he did.

Thorson looks slower than he is with that long stride. On the occasions he's found a seam this season he seems to go a long way.

I think we can run the ball on this defense. If we can get 6 yards on the first two downs, it will change this game.

Go Cats!

I like Fitz interview. I personally really like Fitz as a coach and a person.

We should run the zone read more (ever?) with Thorson. I think if he keeps the ball on some of the handoffs to JJ, he will have some room to run on the backside.

First McHugh and then Jones drops a sure TD. Someone needs to be held accountable. Springer needs to be gone.

I'll hold Springer accountable when the receivers run lousy routes and don't get open, but he can't catch the damn ball for them. It's puzzling, because Jones obviously has caught balls in the past. The entire receiving corps seems to have an aversion for the ball right now. Still don't remember seeing Roberts this game. Why did we burn his shirt?

C-T-F-B (Catch The Effing Ball). Christian Jones is NU's premier WR? What does that say about our WR corps? NU's O has to start playing together and making plays rather than wait for a broken play to get you out of their funk; otherwise, the D is gonna get blown-up via attrition.

We used to play smart, disciplined football. We usually weren't as athletic as our opponent, but we at least wouldn't beat ourselves. That doesn't happen anymore, at least in the last 2.5 games. As a fan, it's very frustrating. If our guys play to the best of their abilities and still lose, then that's one thing. But stupid, undisciplined football (e.g. fair catch at the 3-yard line, taking a safety, dropped passes by WRs) is what drives me nuts.

I think Thorson is playing hard to win. He is a redshirt Freshman, so he is going to make questionable choices and mistakes, but I like his heart and desire to win. He has a line that isn't blocking well, no running attack, and receivers dripping easy passes. I think he will be a very good player if we are patient. He is winning this game for us. Him and our defense.

Reactions: phatcat
I'll hold Springer accountable when the receivers run lousy routes and don't get open, but he can't catch the damn ball for them. It's puzzling, because Jones obviously has caught balls in the past. The entire receiving corps seems to have an aversion for the ball right now. Still don't remember seeing Roberts this game. Why did we burn his shirt?

You don't see a pattern of WRs who used to catch the ball consistently early in their careers dropping balls post Springer's arrival? Jones, Lawrence, Tony Jones. It must be something they are or are not doing in practice.

You don't see a pattern of WRs who used to catch the ball consistently early in their careers dropping balls post Springer's arrival? Jones, Lawrence, Tony Jones. It must be something they are or are not doing in practice.

Sorry, but I'm not buying that. You don't suddenly learn after 10+ years of playing football how NOT to catch to the ball.

Fitz and his coaching staff have got to get the offense to play fundamental football - blocking correctly, hitting the point of attack w/ authority; and most of all... C-T-F-B. NU is downright lucky to be ahead. If the O starts playing together and exhibiting the talent which it has, then the 'Cats can capture the "W" flag from a very bad BugEater team at their house.

We should run the zone read more (ever?) with Thorson. I think if he keeps the ball on some of the handoffs to JJ, he will have some room to run on the backside.

Just like I said last week, that is what we need to do but Thorson needs to make that read. We are running the zone read but he needs to keep it to keep the defense honest.

Sorry, but I'm not buying that. You don't suddenly learn after 10+ years of playing football how NOT to catch to the ball.

I can't think of one WR in recent years who's really improved as a player at NU. C. Jones, T. Jones, R. Lawrence....all played just as well (or better) as freshmen, at least to my untrained eye. Gone are the days where guys like Zeke and Ebert would be all-conference caliber WRs as seniors.

Lowry having having a very good game.

He is a pro but some others have their head up there ass. If Smith was playing the ball earlier in this drive he had a sure interception. Also Hank has to bring an occasional blitz.

might as well just take a knee on first and 2nd down and run 3rd and 13

Who was the coach on the field for the penalty?

It was Long I think. That was a BS call. They usually give a warning. In any event, the defense needs to get off the field on 3rd down. We let Armstrong have all day to pass when he has proven to make questionable decisions when pressured. No excuse. Horrible play by the D.

I thought the first sideline interference call was supposed to be a warning? Then the 15 yard penalty for a second.

I think Thorson is getting comfortable and getting confidence. Our offense is going to pick up

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT